New Rig....but xp32 bit is recommended !!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by frankyman, May 28, 2010.

1. 1. OK, now I get your bias. You're in love with Server 2008, and as you say W7 uses the same platform, then W7 must be GREAT!

2. I never inferred "W7 was anything close to XP SP4". You'd complained about "all of the XP updates = trash". My point was that if all of the updates were rolled into and SP4 and included on an install disk, there wouldn't be "all those trashy individual updates", and XP would INSTALL like W7 installs.

3. I read somewhere on the net that "Miscrosoft has stated (apparently... and perhaps since denied, says you) there would be a W8 in 2012".

W95 is ancient history. XP is not. It's still on 3x as many computers as W7... and if the business community is taken separately, the ratio is much higher.

XP is still perfectly competent to run all trading apps and other computing functions. And while W7 may indeed be "better", it's not "better enough" to compel one to replace XP with W7... bells and whistles notwithstanding.

FWIW.... I know you'll ignore this comment, but other readers might be interested.... I put 2 new rigs in service this year, both with XP. I have copies of W7 but don't see the need to use them yet.

#41     Jun 17, 2010
  2. henry76

henry76

I run xp ( and vista) but there's no way I'd go with xp on anew computer , when eventually 8 does appear you'll be saying about 7 what your saying about xp now , problems with running xp will slowly increase from here and reduce with 7

#42     Jun 17, 2010
  3. How so? XP won't just magically "go to crap in front of your eyes". "Problems" not likely to increase in XP until Microsoft stops supporting patches.. and that's not until April, 2014, at least.

Only things I can think of off hand which would compel replacing XP with W7 would be user gets new software which is very important to him... and which won't run on XP (or runs poorly on it) but will on W7. (Never heard of such a thing, but we're talking theoretical possibilities..) Or, if there were to emerge some sort of malware attack which is being exploited and XP can't be patched to stop it.

#43     Jun 17, 2010
  4. henry76

henry76

but there is stuff that won't run on windows earlier than xp , which sort of makes xp next inline , maybe not so much now , but next year , there will be broker programmes etc that won't run on xp soon enough , which re-inforces my original post , it's a question of time.

#44     Jun 17, 2010
  5. I thought I said that.

As for trading apps.. they're highly unlikely to morph into something which won't run on XP at least until Microsoft stops supporting it. It would be a HUGE hassle for brokers to have to tell their clients, "you gotta upgrade to W7 because of our new software"... too much risk of losing paying customers.

If/when it happens, you change. Until then, no NEED to .

So... here's a question... "If all of your apps and peripherals work as they should... and all of your software works properly and is snappy/fast.... and you've had zero security issues for years.. why change OS... what's to be gained?"

#45     Jun 17, 2010
  6. henry76

henry76

horses for courses , i never change my operating system , not computer savvy enough , just buy a new computer every year or so and run with last operating system with new on the new , is simple and easy and has worked for me , i'm about trading not computers .

#46     Jun 17, 2010
  7. That's actually a smart plan...

Most people buying a new computer today likely not even given the choice of XP.. that's OK too. In fact, there are only a few places today where you can still buy a computer with XP as a choice.

#47     Jun 17, 2010
  8. henry76

henry76

Thanks , it's born through ignorance , but atleast I know I'm ignorant .

#48     Jun 17, 2010
  9. Ignorant? No evidence of that here.

Some folks think they "must have the latest and greatest". Isn't that part of the American personal debt problem?

Should I get rid of my 720p HDTVs and replace them with 1080p? (Hint... if the viewing distance is > 6.5 ft, the human eye can't perceive the difference between 720 and 1080.. and my normal viewing distance is about 12-15 ft.)

#49     Jun 17, 2010
  10. henry76

henry76

Expediancy, my stepfather has upgraded his computer ( at considerable cost) and now has a winodows 95 machine that makes you want to kick it when your on the internet , I just change when i need to , but it is a good idea to buy latest rather than upgrade repair etc , bit like digital tv , again my stepfather has a very expensive tv he's repaired kept forever , but soon won't work at all as country switches to digital , plus there are channels he can't get , on the flip side old furniture is often better than new , such is life .

#50     Jun 17, 2010