New Rig....but xp32 bit is recommended !!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by frankyman, May 28, 2010.

1. There's not much on the planet in x32 that won't run on x64.

Every x64 OS I have run (several) has a x32 program files folder and runs x32 software just fine. The main thing on x64 is drivers and today it's close to 100%.

If you're running an application that uses Excel for API or charting, x64 is faster. A nice screaming quad core DDR3 system with lots of ram and you'll never miss a tick during volatile markets which in my opinion is the most important time to be functioning.

#21     Jun 11, 2010
  2. I agree . . . most everything but IB.

#22     Jun 11, 2010
  3. maxpi

maxpi

and the following list of charting packages with order entry from the screen run on Linux:

#23     Jun 11, 2010
  4. maxpi

maxpi

aren't sort of the hallmarks of crapware that it won't run without administrator priveliges, won't run on the newest os'es... does TWS run in a user account? The best I could with Tradestation was a Super User account, better than some other stuff that needs full admin priveliges...

#24     Jun 11, 2010
  5. not sure what you dingleberries are even ranting about.

been running tws on Win 7 X64 using 32 bit Java for 8 months.

not even sure it wont run on 64 bit Java and don't really care.

bad info here at ET.

#25     Jun 12, 2010
  6. I don't really understand why XP/32 is good for trading?
    It's an OS on it's way out. I've personally have used both XP/32 and Windows 7 in trading.
    W7 is better in all regards to handle what is needed in today's fast trading.
    1.Trading platform.
    2. Multiple chart streaming.
    3. Video and snapshot capture in real time while trading.
    4. TV cards, have two, one is on CNBC and the other one is streaming to a country in Europe at the same time as I'm trading.
    5. Multiple monitor setup.
    6. All gadgets we all love, info about the computer, Skype and so on.
    7. Updates on virus software and Windows 7, video cards and other program updates.

Windows 7 handles this way better in my opinion then the old XP.
    So, how about let the old way's of thinking be in the past and let the new way come forward? Windows 7 is better! With a 4 or 6 core cpu's it shines and that's where the future is..faster cpu's more cores. I think I like it!!

#26     Jun 13, 2010
  7. OK ... lets get real for a bit.

Win XP Pro is the windows OS that has been running reliably for a while. Win 7 (if you believe its new) hasn't reached SP1 yet and Vista was crap. Win 7 will be faster than Win XP eventually but right now different benchmarks show one better than the other ... so no real winner. Where there is a difference its a few percent to one or another ... so who cares.

I am not a win7 hater - I have win xp on my trading partition and 7 on my mucking around partition.

So, if you want to run something that is reliable and proven to work with all of the new or old trading software out there - WinXP.

Let's go through Chris's points.
    1. More trading platforms run on XP without issues than W7.
    2. Since when can't you stream multicharts on xp???
    3. Real traders capture video snapshots? You can do it on xp, what's the problem.
    4. Real traders watch tv while they trade? And put it on the computer that's running their trading platforms? Pardon?
    5. I think you can run multiple monitors on xp ... or is this some new wonder feature of microsofts?
    6. All the gadgets we love (oh my god, are we talking about teenagers here). Are we professional traders or amateurs playing at it?
    7. Updates to ... ... are we really kidding. And video cards that won't run on xp ... are we gamers or traders?

It is true that Win 7 becomes faster than XP with more cores although I don't believe its an impressive difference at 2 or 4 cores.

Win 7 is really attractive to teenagers and people playing with computers. If you want a solid platform for your trading technologies then it's hard to beat XP. Whatever happened to "wait for SP1 before you consider a new OS?"

#27     Jun 13, 2010
  8. kiwi trader, glad you responded to my post.
    Windows XP is facing out, I 'll guess we all know that what's coming!
    It's all a matter of time. Don't get me wrong..I love Windows XP and been using it for many years. Have it still installed as my reserve OS in a panic situation, if you understand what I'm saying..:)
    I was totally opened and had my doubts about Windows 7..tried the beta out and eventually got the real thing. Well..I was totally convinced after trading with it and the way it handles the ram memory and the multiple cores on the CPU and all the programs opened at once, no doubt about it, it handle it just wonderful, can it be better? Sure it can!
    It's up to us to demand what is needed. Brokers are now under the pressure of making there platforms Windows 7 and multi core enabled and I think we as traders should welcome this.
    I think we trade better,with more confident, if we know we trust the OS we're using.
    I also say that Windows XP has served us well for many wonderful years, we're very grateful for this, a new era though is around the corner. Let's embrace it and think in positive terms and welcome it: I,m all for that!

#28     Jun 13, 2010
  9. In addition, Microsoft has said that a new OS will be out in 2012... "Windows 8", I think they call it.

Soooo.... the W7 worshipers can go through the transition all over again in perhaps as little as 18 months.

XP will be supported for at least 4 more years.... thus still no compelling reason to replace XP with W7 at this time.

#29     Jun 13, 2010
  10. There is zero evidence that Win 7 is problematic in any way.

I have had a minimum of issues using a large number of apps.

All this talk is basically uninformed ranting.

Is there any actual report of something not working, or is all this pants pissing just out of fear?

SP1 is a non issue because 7 was rock solid as released.

This is old news.

PS Linux blows, Mac blows

#30     Jun 14, 2010