New reality of stock trading

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Bob111, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Bob111

Bob111

super low volume, super wide spreads. look at premarket volume on most liquid ETF's..200K on IWM right before market open..use to be 4M average.pathetic..
    as i said before-soon they will halt the stocks all day long with their 10% halt or whatever rule. cause spreads will be 10% :) boy oh boy..what this market have became...
    where all those 'liquidity providers ' go?

Baron likes this.
  2. promagma

promagma

Hi Bob

Really true, and real P&L is often far short of the theoretical P&L these days, especially on scalping type strategy. Much of the volume is HFT nonsense, that will almost always beat you a short timeframe. But sometimes there are stretches of tradable days, where real life matches or beats theoretical results. I really think the level of tradeable volume and real directional interest in the market can vary hugely - by a factor of 2x, 3x or 4x from one day to the next. For example, I realized most of my money this year has been made in the first two hours of days with a gap down of 0.50% or more, just because the liquidity and movement is there. Also I can say, if you don't have a broker that allows you to ping dark pools, you are missing out on a big chunk of what's available.

3. Bob111

Bob111

Just like DC in politics/foreign policy i seriously believe that SEC are truly clueless about what they did with US stock market. It might work for some time, specially when market is up(cause they effectively squeezed most of the participants), but then this thing will start falling apart-look out below. LITERALLY
    they learned nothing from flash crash.
    oh...I forgot....they are former GS working for GS. And GS is the one, who made a whole lot of money off that crash...

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  4. Oh boy, there we go again with that low volatility/low volume/cannot-make-money-anymore/poor me/the_market_has_changed/snif snif snif/ song :rolleyes:

Guys, stick with high volume, high intraday range financial instruments (and simply ignore all the slow, going nowhere ones), there are plenty of them every single day.

5. You really think so, Bob111?

Read "In Bed with Wall Street: The Conspiracy Crippling Our Global Economy" by Larry Doyle, I can assure you it will change your opinion about the stock market - and the view you just expressed - forever...

6. Bob111

Bob111

i agree and so should you-if you think it's all BS-then just pass it. why waste your time on respond?
    looks like you (just like sec) underestimating the problem or you are young enough and never heard of APC crash.. small fart can and will create an a domino effect in a blink of an eye. simply because it's all connected now and run by the bots. one stock fall-etf's have to adjust blah blah blah...
    get this trough your head..i'm not complaining about my PnL or volatility...i'm concerned that this whole thing might fell apart one day. see a screen shoot above. this is just a teaser

7. Almost 55 and counting.How old are you by the way?

Never going to happen. Companies that produce stuff (or services) will always exist. And trading will never stop or "fall apart".

It's like saying or believing that one day water will simply cease to exist.

8. General public not interested in stocks , I don't know anyone who's buying them, it's a scam

9. Say what?? :eek:

Dozens of BILLIONS of US dollars exchange hands every single day just in the New York Stock Exchange.

So who is doing all that buying and selling? o_O

10. Bob111

Bob111

Whatever.. All I'm saying that looks like having $8 on bid and 1000 on ask on $10 , 50k avg shares stock until 10 am is a new norm now...

#10     Aug 22, 2014