New Quad Video Cards At Nvidia... Run 30"ers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gnome, Jan 20, 2009.

1. cashcow

cashcow

I recommend the PNY NVS 440 video card in conjunction with 4 Dell 2408WFP monitors.
    Trading in front of 4 of these monitors is great and you get a resolution of 3840x2400 - you can fit 40 TT ladders on each monitor.
    Unless orientated vertically, I personally find the 30" screens too big for trading.
    Both the NVS 440 and 450 cards are great cards, and I would chose them any day over the Matrox QID cards. You can get the PNY NVS 440 from ebay for around 200 GBP, but the NVS 450 cards dont seem to be going cheap anywhere.

#41     May 4, 2009
  2. I have a Dell dimension 9200. For whatever reason only two of the monitor ports on the card actually work. I can put any of the monitors in those two ports and they will work, but the left two ports do nothing. Is it possible that this card isn't compatible with the computer for some reason? When I send it back should i get a different card? This is the HP version on the card, does that make a difference? It does actually say on the packaging that it's only supposed to be used with in HP systems but since it of course didn't say anything on the site I ordered it from about that I decided to try it out anyway.

#42     May 4, 2009
  3. Vista or XP?

Are you using the 182.46 driver from Nvidia website? If not, uninstall what you're using and install it.

If you are using 182.46, have you done an "overwrite reinstall"... that is, just install the driver again... no need to uninstall it first.

Try that and see if it corrects...

Ports can fail. Perhaps your 2nd DMS59 port is bad.

Also, check your DMS59 cables... sometimes they fail.

#43     May 4, 2009
  4. Yeah thanks but I did try the driver from nvidias web site. Still didn't work. I may be using the wrong lingo but when I say "ports" I mean the plug in ON the video card for the monitors. The right two work, the left two don't. Serves me right for trying to save a few bucks. The one I bought was coincidentally about 50-70 bucks cheaper than most of the other nvs 450's I saw. I'm going to send it back and buy another one from Dell. It says it's compatible with my cpu on the Dell web site so I figure they'll be easier to deal with for troubleshooting or returns than some resellers web site.

#44     May 4, 2009
  5. Yes, "port" on the video card.

It's not a matter of "being compatible with your CPU"... but rather being compatible with your BIOS. Does your mobo have onboard video chip? If so, the 440 might not work on your computer...

#45     May 4, 2009
  6. I have the 450. It states on the dell web site that it is compatible with the Dell Dimension 9200. Whether my motherboard has an on board video chip I have no idea. I don't even know what that is actually.

#46     May 5, 2009
  7. No onboard video chip.... that's good.... I shouldn't have even asked and paid better attention... Duh!

Your D9200 has a 965P mobo... that's good too.

You did, of course, go into Display/Settings and see if icons for monitors 3 & 4 were shown but not yet activated? (Not trying to be a smartass, but I don't know your experience with multi-monitor setups...)

#47     May 5, 2009
  8. OMG! Ha! That was it. Thanks for being a smartass!

#48     May 5, 2009