New Quad Video Cards At Nvidia... Run 30"ers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gnome, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Tresor

Tresor

Bump. It seems (after reading this: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/NVIDIA-790i-SLI,1977-7.html ) that NVIDIA nForce 790i Ultra SLI MCP (although nice 3 green PCI Express x 16 slots are shown on the picture) does not run all the slots at the same speed / transfer. It works: 3x PCIe x16 (Transfer Modes: 2x 2.0, 1x 1.0)

Does this mean that can run only two NVIDIA Quadro NVS 450 cards effieciently on this motherboard (not three)?

Thank you.

#31     Feb 16, 2009
  2. gnome

gnome

Probably. But for trading you really should not be concerned. The video requirements of trading are MINISCULE compared to the computer's capability.

#32     Feb 16, 2009
  3. Tresor

Tresor

Thx gnome. I just watched a few moves on youtube on how simple it is to assembly one's own PC. So I got excited.

The only problem is how to select the matching components if one is a layman in computers (like I am).

Regards

#33     Feb 16, 2009
  4. gnome

gnome

I'm not enough of a computer enthusiast to bother with BIY... but I sometimes here about minor compatibility problems when you buy the parts separately. When that happens, there's troubleshooting... can be time consuming and may involve returning and exchanging parts... not worth the hassle in my book.

At least when you buy one already put together, whatever compatibility issues there would be have been worked out.... and the computer will have been tested to make sure all parts are functioning.

#34     Feb 16, 2009
  5. Tresor

Tresor

#35     Feb 16, 2009
  6. Are far as I can determine, the NVS 450 is a PCIe 1.0 card only. The motherboard would not use the PCIe 2.0 capability anyway.

This also seems confirmed by the numbers, as PCIe 1.0 X16 has a throughput of 4.0 GB/s, while four 30" monitors would need a data feed of 3.96 GB/s.

So it's at the limit of what the hardware can do. If there was a problem with the amount of data needed by the monitors, that can be reduced by lowering the monitor refresh rate, say from 60Hz to 30Hz. With just charts on the screens it wouldn't be possible to notice the difference.

Nonetheless, you'd be better off checking the compatibility with Nvidia.

#36     Feb 16, 2009
  7. gnome

gnome

Isn't that like asking, "Isn't a Ferrari worth it?"

Of course it is to some people. However much time, effort, and money you choose to put into it.

For trading, however, you can get a thoroughly competent computer for $500-$1000, depending upon your CPU and video cards.

#37     Feb 16, 2009
  8. Tresor

Tresor

Thanks BigFunky,

So much to learn...

#38     Feb 16, 2009
  9. I just bought an Nvidia NVS 450 and just installed it. The problem is, only two screens work. Everything is hooked up, everything is connected, I unsinstalled and installed everything 3 times. BTW, if you were wondering, the card comes with adapters for dvi cables. It was amazingly easy to install, but it doesn't work. It's really pissing me off as the last quad card card I got didn't work at all and I sent it back. It was an ATI. I hate computers!

#39     May 2, 2009
  10. What brand and model of computer did you try to install it on? The reason I ask is because the NVS 440 apparently doesn't work on a Dell Vostro... it has its version of the ubiquitous budget board with onboard video chip. Does yours also?

#40     May 2, 2009