New Quad Video Cards At Nvidia... Run 30"ers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gnome, Jan 20, 2009.

1. LEAPup

LEAPup

Is it possible to put together a setup with two 32" monitors side by side? If so, any ideas on what to buy?

I need the monitors, good quality computer up to trading standards, and all other hardware needed. I'm clueless on the hardware end, so I appreciate the replies!:) (Guess I'm starting from scratch from the ground up, and need advice here.)

I thought about 8 22" monitors, but have read that a couple very large monitors may be better.

#11     Jan 22, 2009
  2. Tresor

Tresor

Hi Guys,

I originally intended to buy 4 x 30'' (2560 x 1600),but these monitors are just too expensive. I given up.

A much nicer option are cheap Samsungs (2048 x 1152). One such Samsung monitor has the following ports: VGA and DVI inputs.

Is one NVIDIA NVS 450 capable of running 4 Samsung monitors of 2048 x 1152? It should be but (i) the resolution is not common and (ii) this graphics card has no DVI. I attach a screenshot with NVS' ports.

In case the NVS 450 can run 4 monitors of such unusual resolution, will I need a special type of cables to connect my monitors to this graphics card? Will the card adjust automatically to this uncommon resolution / is this resolution supported by this card?

Regards

#12     Feb 13, 2009
  3. gnome

gnome

The 450 has an unusual connection to the card... surely it must come with 4 adapters for the monitors...

Resolution isn't really an issue until you want to get TONS of things displayed at one time. Suggest you go a more conventional route... 1920x1200 on 24-28" monitors.

#13     Feb 13, 2009
  4. Tresor

Tresor

Hi gnome,

I would love to go for 1920 x 1200, because this option is easy, but but this resolution (i) is not wide enough for 3 charts and (ii) is too high for 2 charts.

The strange resolution of 2048 x 1152 seems just perfect for 3 (wide) x 2 (high) charts:

XXX (30 min, 5 min, 1 min)
    XXX (30 min, 5 min, 1 min)

so I wanted to explore this option.

Regards

#14     Feb 13, 2009
  5. Tresor

Tresor

Are such adapters easy to buy? What is the English technical name for such adapters, so that I could google the name?

Regards

#15     Feb 13, 2009
  6. gnome

gnome

You can size the charts to be any size you want on any monitor... never heard of a program where you had to specifiy "number of pixels high/wide" for a chart.

#16     Feb 13, 2009
  7. gnome

gnome

Those connectors are new and likely apply only to that card... I doubt you can get them any place except directly from Nvidia. In prior quads, they used 2x, DMS 59/60 connectors.

Perhaps not a good idea to go with the "new" card... might have some issues and there hasn't been much time to work out any kinks discovered since it hit the market. 2x, 290s... 2x FX570s, or a 440 would be much safer and less costly alternatives... well, not the 440 if purchased new... it would be about the same.

#17     Feb 13, 2009
  8. Tresor

Tresor

Thx gnome :)

#18     Feb 13, 2009
  9. The new connectors on the 450 are called 'DisplayPort'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Displayport

They are basically an alternative to HDMI. A lot of the really big new monitors have a DisplayPort input, particularly Apple CinemaDisplay which only have DisplayPort, and the new dell 30"s have both DisplayPort and DVI.

Unfortunately they are not directly compatible with DVI or VGA, so the adaptors are quite expensive, around $80 each. Which would make the 450 a bad option.

#19     Feb 13, 2009
  10. Tresor

Tresor

Thanks BigFunky,

This explains a lot.

#20     Feb 13, 2009