new power supply unit

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by osho67, Jun 7, 2012.

1. My computer has slowed down after a new power supply unit which was installed, Is there anything I can do? Please help. I donot know the spec of new power supply unit. I donot mind changing to a better unit. Plrase help- what are the choices? Thanks

2. I posted this in the thread you originally inquired

Were you able to determine the part # of the new PSU, either by receipt or opening case?

Once you have the P/N, search on Newegg's site to locate unit, then check specs... if not there, search in google via P/N. If still not able contact mfg with P/N...

I have always had good experience with Corsair PSU's and I believe Corsair is built by Seasonic, which I read were also good units...

I prefer the modular units as I like clean installations, individual power cables, so no excess bulk in case... but isn't necessary, standard PSU's are just fine

if you have a pre i5/i7 PSU, two graphic cards, two HDD's a 650 watt unit is a safe bet, newer builds 500 is safe... but the calculator will tell you what you need add a few components when calculating to accommodate add'l drives in the future...

my $.02

3. you are wasting your time asking questions about your pc since we dont know what other hardware it has and OS. It could be a bad connection, wrong type pwer supply installed, any number of things.

did you install it yourself or have somebody install it for you?

do the right thing and take your computer to a reputable pc service shop at a place like tigerdirect, bestbuy, compusa, etc and let an expert technician find the problem and tweak your pc for best performance.

4. South beach has a point,

slow performance could be a number of things, virus, malware, bad memory, heat...

I was only responding to the PSU part of the question...

Run antivirus scan and malwarebytes confirm no virus / malware...

First thing I normally do, is clean out the case...

then I re-seat my memory, video cards, check connections, etc...

run memtest if suspect... / alternately check with known good memory if available

Then I punt "re-format" - eliminate any unnecessary programs which tend to build up on general purpose systems after awhile... only loading my primary programs... Charting, Office, firefox, Anti-virus, Sandiebox...

I keep my Data on separate drives, only Operating system and programs go on C drive.... before you do anything back up your data if not on separate drives...

if system still slow, most likely hardware related...

5. What do you mean by "slow"?

What led to replacing the old PSU? Did you get a virus that spiked CPU which blew the PSU?

6. I've never suspected a computer of being "slow" because of the PSU. If it's having a problem, the computer is more likely not to boot or work.. but not be just "slow". One exception, however.. if the computer is selectively slow.. like internet functions.... could be a problem with the wireless hardware/driver functions. Of course I could be wrong.. and I'm sure some ETer will clue me in if so...

Whenever a computer gets slow, it's more likely a software problem. (The computer is slow because it's struggling doing a task.) If you don't have a backup/spare HDD/SSD, get one.... invaluable in troubleshooting problems like yours. Mount the spare hard drive and do a fresh install of the OS. If it's not slow then, add one program at a time and check for slowness... until you find the culprit. If your rig is "all of a sudden slow", suspect some form of malware or a part of the OS has been corrupted.... and if that's the case, you probably need a new OS install anyway.

7. Agreed 100%
    There are all sorts of nasty viruses and malware out there that are stealing your computers CPU resources and memory.
    Your issue is most likely a software problem, not a hardware issue.

8. It is very unlikely that a faulty power supply will cause a computer to slow down. It either works, or causes the computer hardware to fail.

Computer slow down is most likely software related. Gotta find out where the CPU cycles went. A simpliest thing to do is to start Windows Task Manager, sort by CPU Usage, and see which processes are sucking up all the CPU time. If you can't even get the Task Manager to come up, then it is quite likely some kind of virus infection.

Or that you have a malfunctioning card (e.g. network card), which constantly interrupts the CPU. Possible.

9. Agree with troubleshooting methods of prior posters (ex scat).
    It should have little to do with a supply change.
    Every power supply has regulated (i.e. close to perfectly constant) voltage sources.

If for some reason, however, it was power starved (suppose you had 30w and your power wanted to consume more current than available)... in that case it's possible that at lower currents, devices could run slower. Or if the filtering on the lower quality one is lower, more noise could get through; reducing SNR/increasing jitter performance of switching devices. A simple way to test would be to buy/take a much higher quality/wattage rated supply and see if there is improvement if not take it back at no charge to you.

10. Thanks for all the very helpful replies. I had a word with installer and he assured me that power unit even suitable for gaming has been installed.

This morning I tried a new cable from router to computer and it seems problem has disappeared. I have to test more during the day. The old cable could be slightly faulty, so internet connection was there but somehow rapid action was not there.

Thanks again for all the help from all the replies.

#10     Jun 8, 2012