New Poster: Mechanica vs SmartQuant?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Smoker, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Occam

Occam

I would almost give this the "ET Post of the Year" for its subtle sarcasm :D. Yet I don't think that the poster to whom you replied will get it.

Anyhow, thanks for your comments on how things are done from your (rather extraordinary) position in professional trading. This site would be a lot less interesting if the only people who ever posted were those "sitting in their moms' basements", so to speak. Enjoy the sunshine.

#21     Oct 17, 2011
  2. Smoker

Smoker

Maybe this is a case where being subtle isn’t going to get the relevant information across?

In my position I have heard the allocation pitches and cross examined the best players in the professional league and for the most part they are more alike the gifted amateur than different.

One of the great myths of the business is it is easier to put up superior risk adjusted returns running a small amount of cash vs the big time stacks of cash run by the successful professional prop market. I have the ready ammo to without delay explore any new market or put any reasonable system/model/technique into production overnight. Most gifted amateurs have to be very selective and miss out on the natural diversification that is an integral part of having a big stack of chips at your finger tips.

That said I have two or three acquaintances that more or less run a personal trading operation from out of their house that are effectively on par with the vast majority of the professional proprietary market.

A possible reason for this phenomenon is a fair amount of the gifted amateurs only got into serious trading after retirement from a previous successful career in another field. They are happy with their new trading “hobby” that nicely pads the retirement and is more intellectually rewarding than playing golf all day.

Because they are financially secure and enjoying family and friends in retirement they really aren’t interested at this point in their lives going pro and moving to the other side of the world to gun sling in the sunny sandbox.

However that doesn’t mean their technique or methodology is any less effective than the stuff I use to run oil money in the sunny Gulf.

Just my two dirhams worth.

Cheers Smoker

#22     Nov 18, 2011
    Occam likes this.