New PC. What to do now?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Boomer, Jan 28, 2008.

1. mcdog

mcdog

#31     Feb 3, 2008
  2. whatisis

whatisis

Boomer,

Who is your internet provider? Many already provide free anti-virus/firewall/spam blocking software you can download.

#32     Feb 3, 2008
  3. You don't need anything but a router.

- make sure the router admin password is set to something secure
    - make sure the windows firewall is on
    - make sure your windows install is fairly current with latest patches using windows update
    - don't run apps from questionable websites

That's all you need. All that other junk just slows down your machine and causes problems with various software.

Maybe run a free online virus scanner every once and a while.

http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

--s

#33     Feb 3, 2008
  4. BSAM

BSAM

Boomer---

If you haven't done anything yet, go to Best Buy. Pick up a copy of Windows Live One Care. Install onto computer. All problems solved.

#34     Feb 3, 2008
  5. Boomer

Boomer

Does running your internet through a cable splitter slow down the connection?

I dont really have a choice, as my tv and pc are in the same room...just wondering though.

Also, should I still run my internet through a router even though I am connecting by ethernet cable...dont need the wireless? Does that provide some extra protection?

#35     Feb 6, 2008
  6. You cannot split ethernet but I assume that you mean that you're splitting the cable so that it goes to your cable box and cable modem. That's fine (assuming that your signal strength is good enough).

Basically you want:

cable to cable modem -> ethernet cable from modem to router -> ethernet cable from the router to your computer.

The common routers you can get at Best Buy or wherever will route to 4 ports so you can hook up 4 machines or more if you're doing wireless too.

#36     Feb 6, 2008
  7. Just be sure to make certain that you are using a high quality splitter. Try and get one from your cable guy. They all look the same from the outside, but the one that the cable guy uses is a lot better. His costs $10.00 each for a "reason" vs the cheapie that you get at the local Radio Shack.

#37     Feb 7, 2008
  8. alanmart

alanmart

No one has commented yet but you should run a quality disk defragmenter either on a daily basis or set it up to run automatically.

I have used diskeeper for many years and their new version Diskeeper 2008 Professional sells for around $49.

Disk defragmentation can have an extreme impact on your system. You should especially run one after you have installed all your programs as the hard disk will be extremely defragmented at this point.

#38     Feb 7, 2008
  9. Boomer

Boomer

question still stands:

do i "NEED" to use a router if I am not going to use wireless? I just want to hook up the pc to the internet. Will running it through a router provide extra protection, or is it just a wasted step? ( I am using Mcafee firewall)

#39     Feb 7, 2008
  10. Bob111

Bob111

yes. i already give you a link with $25 dlink router with NAT firewall.i would use it instead of mcfee firewall.

google for NAT firewall
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/firewall.htm

#40     Feb 7, 2008