New PC. What to do now?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Boomer, Jan 28, 2008.

1. gaj

gaj

don't use windows firewall.

go to grc.com and check your machine with his quick easy exe files...

#11     Jan 28, 2008
  2. Boomer

Boomer

will be using cable internet

#12     Jan 28, 2008
  3. Bob111

Bob111

#13     Jan 28, 2008
  4. eddie--d

eddie--d

Did you buy a name computer (Dell, etc.), or maybe from this forums sponsor, or maybe have one built at a local shop? I'm curious as I'm shopping too.

#14     Jan 28, 2008
  5. b.s.

software firewalls do not slow down your machine or make it unstable. i've been using them for 7+ years, even on slow ass 500mhz machines from the 1990s era and they have no impact on performance in any way.

#15     Jan 29, 2008
  6. Or a free Comodo Personal Firewall; I would suggest to stay with 2.4.x vs. the latest 3.x.

#16     Jan 29, 2008
  7. Kap

Kap

I'd reccomend getting a decent ROUTER before anything else.

#17     Jan 29, 2008
  8. I just purchased my 3rd Dell Computer ( last week ) from their refurbished "Outlet" website.

Dell allows you to return any computer within 21-days . . . Those that get returned are put back into inventory on the "outlet" website as "refurbished".

The neat thing is that you can easily save yourself $300-$400 from what would have cost to purchase a new machine, AND you get the same 1-year warranty as the new Dell machines.

For example, I just bought a Dell Vostro 400 off of their Business "outlet" site ( they also have a Home "outlet" site ).

The Vostro 400 is a barbones business computer without all of the software crap loaded on it. It has an Intel Core-2 Duo 2.66 Ghz microprocessor with 4MB of L2 cache and a 1333 front side bus. Also got 2 Gigs of the PC-6400 800Mghz memory, with an entry level Nvidia GeForce 8300 GS video card and not one, but 2 hard drives ( 250GB and 80GB ).

All of this is on the Windows XP platform ( too many "bugs" in Vista for my taste ) for $499.00!!!

The only thing that I am upgrading myself is the 300 watt power supply. Dell power supplies are notoriously strong, with superb 12v and 3.3v rails, but I have always gone to PC Power & Cooling to upgrade the PSU. The PSU is by no means a glamorous part of the computer, but it is vital when it comes to supporting extra memory, video card demands, hard drives, etc.

You can get the "Silencer 470" which is a standard ATX design made for the Dell for only $99.00

Throw in a GeForce 6200 video card by BFG Technologies ( 256mb and dual output ) in the PCI-slot in the bottom of the case ( supports 2 more monitors ) for $70.00 and I'll be good to go!

The only other Dell computer that I was looking at was the XPS-420. Unfortunately, they usually come only with Windows Vista and an ATI Radeon video-card.

#18     Jan 29, 2008
  9. Yes, get a ROUTER ( they are pretty cheap ) to act as a hardware firewall between your computer and your internet modem. The ROUTER will only cost you about $40.00 and it will "hide" your IP address from hackers and also encrypt your data packets.

I'm not a big fan of Norton Anti-Virus.
    Have had better results with McAfee.

Good Luck!

#19     Jan 29, 2008
  10. Bob111

Bob111

router $25 AR with free S&H. see link on my previous post.

as for PSU i would recommend this one-
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371005

quiet,efficient and runs very cool. see reviews on newegg.i have couple of them. bought @15$AR on black friday

#20     Jan 29, 2008