New PC, Need Assistance

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Boomer, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Since you have the macbook if you are prepared to change your activities to using both of these EXCLUSIVELY for trading purposes you have a winning hand.

#11     Jan 13, 2012
  2. FrankS:It all comes down to personal pref re firefox or chrome. i've used firefox w/ adblock for years and i will continue to do so.

I used firefox for years and without an antivirus but a couple of weeks ago I began to get a pop up repeatedly trying to sell me something whenever I went to amazon or netflix .

Also I could no longer copy and paste anything into my Hotmail emails using firefox, so I switched to Chrome and thought my problem was solved but now I can't download my TWS using Chrome and so I'm still using firefox for that.

:confused:

#12     Jan 13, 2012
  3. ammo

ammo

occassionally you have to toss adobe and java and reload them,a lot of stuff tries to attach itself to those two programs on your comp,starting fresh helps

#13     Jan 13, 2012
  4. Mr_You

Mr_You

I recommend just installing Chrome and Microsoft Security Essentials.

I recommend Chrome over others simply because they include and update Adobe Flash and Acrobat Reader plugins which are occasionally known for security vulnerabilities. I use Chrome+Acrobat Reader plugin to read pdfs. This way I don't have to install them separately and keep them updated separately.

#14     Jan 13, 2012
  5. If you are running W7 there are a few things you can do - is it 64-bit or 32-bit?

Can you stand it if your desktop looks like an old Server OS or Windows 95 or do you need it to have all the fancy bubbles & Aero features?

Right click on My Computer and select Properties. On the left select "Advanced System Settings". Next click "Settings" under the Performance section (this is on the Advanced tab which should default to being on top).

Select Adjust for best performance and then hit Apply & OK. See if you can stand that. Most people hate it but it is a bunch faster.

If you like that and don't need some fancy screen saver or desktop background you can also disable Themes which saves you some system resources.

To disable Themes you right click on My Computer and select Manage. You'll need to be an Administrator for this.

In the Computer Management console you select "Services and Applications" then "Services" and find Themes. just hit stop & disable, click apply and hit OK.

On restart you'll notice a big difference with both adjust for best performance + disable themes.

#15     Jan 13, 2012
  6. Could go for that except I love this pic of my dogs...

:D

#16     Jan 13, 2012
  7. nkhoi

nkhoi

don't want to meet them in a dark alley tho.

#17     Jan 13, 2012
  8. Not unless you want to have the CRAP licked out of you.. :D

That pic was from 2 years ago when the Lab was only 10 weeks old. Now, he's bigger than the others.

#18     Jan 13, 2012
  9. No, firefox is pretty much the best browser for a PC (imho) it's just that surfing online with ANY browser without anti-virus is dangerous. Even ET had a virus that injected itself via a script by a malicious user some time ago. I was just saying that on PCs there are all kinds of viral threats out there so surfing isn't as safe as it was on the Mac.

#19     Jan 13, 2012
  10. Not really.

#20     Jan 13, 2012