New Notebook

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 9999, Apr 19, 2012.

1. 9999

Hello guys.
    I'm going to get a new notebook pretty soon, and I'd like to have your opinion about some brands. The ones I'm considering are:
    -Fujitsu
    -Lenovo
    -Dell
    -Eurocom
    I need a workstation replacement, so my needs are power first and then portability. As usual, your inputs and experiences/opinions are much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

2. OnClose

OnClose

Hey 9999, I'm definitely NO expert but after doing research for myself this is the laptop I "think" that I have decided on. I don't know if it will fit your needs but I think it's a pretty good machine.

http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-n53svdh51-p-3352.html

3. Aok

Aok

9x4

If you're looking for a true desktop replacement and dont mind lugging around 12 lbs or so try and look at 9000 series and up.

http://sagernotebook.com/

There are many places to customize Sager/Clevo notebook for less.

www.avadirect.com is one

There are others. Google is your friend.

Disclaimer: I own a Sager Notebook. 15" not 17" The 9270 is a beast. Probably overkill.

Couple the Sager with Matrox multi monitor card and you are good to go.

Dell XPS series is also good.

Also dont forget new chips are coming so you may get a price break on inventory that has to be moved or maybe you want the latest and greatest? If you can wait 2-3 months.

Good trading to you.

4. 9999

Good inputs guys, thanks.
    I also forgot to mention that ruggedness is quite important for me. I don't care for the "slick, cool, neat" factors as much as the "tough, functional and powerful" factors.
    Keep 'em coming!

5. sammybea

sammybea

Sony Z series is a no brainer... You can support upto 3 external monitors plus your laptop screen. Probably the best overall in terms of trading, but the price is nearly double of every other laptop.

If you goto their site, i would suggest customizing with an i7 and 6G of ram, and wireless mobile broadband. Will set you back 2k+

6. A desktop is not a replacement for a workstation.

A laptop is not a replacement for a desktop.

A netbook is not a replacement for a laptop.

An iPad/tablet is not a replacement for a netbook or laptop.

A smartphone is not a replacement for any of the above.

7. zdreg

zdreg

8. Assuming your net connection is good enough, you can have both : get yourself an Asus Transformer Prime or other lightweight Android tablet/pc combo with a good keyboard. Connect to your desktop at home using a private VPN.

What I do : laptop --> remote desktop (rdp) via ssh tunnel --> desktop.

I also flashed my router with DD-WRT so that I can use Wake-on-Lan to wake up my desktop remotely. So I go out (library or coffee shop), wake up my PC, which is till then in Hibernate or Standby mode, then rdp via ssh tunnel, and start work!

The best thing about this arrangement is that there's nothing to sync. I come home and log in onto the desktop and continue *exactly* where I left off; only the screen is larger at home!

The arrangement works perfectly whether I'm on vacation in Thailand or in a coffee shop round the corner. The only problem for you is to get your geek friend to set everything up!

9. 9999

Will definitely check it out, thanks!

10. 9999

I can't see why not. If I can do the same work and my productivity is the same, then it's totally replaceable.

#10     Apr 20, 2012