New needs for automation.

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by TraDaToR, Jul 31, 2008.

1. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

Hello,

I was a TradeStation automated trader turned manual last year and I would like to give another try at automation with different ideas.

What I would like is a trading dedicated environment that can handle :

- IB feed and broker
    - real time bid/asks and B/A sizes from IB feed and programming
    - stable automation to do numerous cancel/replace limit orders per minutes. Speed isn't crucial but it would be better.

I don't want to reinvent the wheel but all I know trading wise is TS EL, AmiBroker AFL and Excel VBA. I don't want to use excel for this 'cause I think it's not stable enough, and TS cannot hadle B/A quotes. I can learn a new language and don't want to reinvent the wheel.

I have looked at open source softs like active quant... But what would be the best option for my needs?

Thanks.

2. Euler

Euler

Doesn't IB's own TWS allow for this? You would have to learn Java, which would be useful anyway if you want to do a lot of trade automation.

IB doesn't like people doing a lot of cancel/replaces, and some people on this site claim to have been "disciplined" in one way or another by IB for doing more cancel/replaces than they'd like. Search the threads or ask IB about this before dedicating very much time to an IB system. Otherwise, you may need to consider a different broker or system.

3. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

Hello Euler, Thanks for your post.

I am not enough motivated to learn a real language like java( with all the trading architecture, data feed process ), and I don't really have the time for it( I trade manually 9 hours a day for a living and can only program in the WE ). What I woulld like is more of a real language in a trading dedicated environment.

For the cancel/replace, the cancel fees only applies to US stock and options and eurex futures:http://individuals.interactivebrokers.com/en/accounts/fees/otherFees.php?ib_entity=llc
    I only trade US futures.

Thanks.

4. Surfeur

Surfeur

hi Tradator,

Have you find your solution ?

You can look www.ninjatrader.com ? you can acces to b/a size and you can connect easily with IB.

Regards.