New NAFTA without Canada?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Jones75, Aug 28, 2018.

1. bone

bone

#41     Sep 13, 2018
    Jones75 likes this.
  2. Sig

Sig

Who knew....oh, only everyone who has studied economics in any detail in the past 50 years!

#42     Sep 13, 2018
  3. Nine_Ender

Nine_Ender

I'd say Canada is dealing with it better then Mexico. We have clearly said no deal is better then a bad deal. Guess you didn't get the message, but you are welcome to sell all those services you sell in Canada to Mexico instead. If they need them.

Bottom line, if Americans like you want to penalize both Canadians and Americans in sectors like farming and energy then go for it. You can't touch IT it's an international sector with mostly border less success. I feel for those whose life will be put in turmoil by this but it's not my problem I have no role in these decisions.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    #43     Sep 13, 2018
  4. Sig

Sig

As someone who does own a business that sells services in Canada and has tried to sell services in Mexico....Canada and Mexico are pretty radically different markets. One would think that would go without saying, but...

#44     Sep 13, 2018
  5. SunTrader

SunTrader

Mexico made a deal already ... because they needed to. And the U.S made that deal to put pressure on Canada ... which doesn't necessarily "need" a deal.

Of course it would be good all around for all three countries to be on the same page. Like how it used to be under hmmmm ... NAFTA I think it was called.

A leftie populist is coming to power in Mexico Dec 1st and there is that little thing called mid terms we have coming Nov 6th that has the clock ticking on a deal if Dems win the House so .....

Let's see what the TV Reality Star has left of his Art of Deal "talents".

#45     Sep 13, 2018
    Nine_Ender likes this.
  6. Jones75

Jones75

True, but Canada is like AA ball, fueling the bigs. Only the cream get to work in Silicon Valley. And that Microsoft satellite head office shifting to Toronto is a no growth move for Canada. It's moving from a suburb city, Mississauga.

Trump is after the Canadian Auto Sector. If Canada is silly enough not to sign on, it will lose big time (20% tariff). And if your comeback is typical lib Canadian "well it will hurt the U.S. too", for get it. The pain to the U.S. will be minimal for a very short period of time.

Am I replying to Crazy Maxine Waters:banghead: with this post?

#46     Sep 13, 2018
  7. Nine_Ender

Nine_Ender

Toronto is the 4th largest IT hub in North America with the #1 growth rate this year. That's not AA ball buddy you must not work in IT.

#47     Sep 14, 2018
  8. SunTrader

SunTrader

Or the Auto Industry.

#48     Sep 14, 2018
  9. Sig

Sig

For sure, the Big 3 Canadian auto makers are going to get killed by this....wait a minute, who are the Canadian car companies again? Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

#49     Sep 14, 2018
    Nine_Ender and SunTrader like this.
  10. Nine_Ender

Nine_Ender

A year later and Trump had to rescind his regressive steel tariffs with Canada because otherwise Canada would not sign the new NAFTA. So your claim of no leverage was complete bs. Nothing good occurred on either side of the border because of those tariffs.

#50     May 21, 2019