New MT5 Update Implements Negative Pricing Capabilities

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by mlawson71, Jun 18, 2020.

1. mlawson71

mlawson71

Times of crisis have always led to innovation and overhaul of existing technologies across many different industries. This time around seems to be no different.

Metaquotes, the company developing the trading software MetaTrader 4 and Metatrader 5, announced that it is releasing a number of updates for the latter, among which is the ability to trade negatively priced assets.

Obviously the reason behind this decision was the historic crash of the WTI Crude oil price that went negative due to the pandemic. Many of the popular trading platforms did not have, at the time, the capability to tackle such an event. Metatrader 5 does not have that problem now.

That is pretty good news, I think. I wish they'd implement that on MT4 too.

dealmaker likes this.
  2. Turveyd

Turveyd

Only trade DAX and NQ if either of those 2 go negative then the worlds already ended and nobody will care.

Prefer MT4 to MT5 especially on Tablets, still on MT4 here.

Axon likes this.
  3. The article you link to is dated May 29th. I would not call that "new" any more.

My understanding was that MT4 had been developed mainly for forex trading and that MT5 was developed later, to expand to other markets besides forex. So I can understand why this modification was done to MT5 but not to MT4. One could also speculate that MetaQuotes wants to push their customers (the brokerages) to phase out MT4 and switch to MT5.

4. mlawson71

mlawson71

Yeah, that's my impression too. Still, people continue using MT4 and don't seem to want to stop.

5. On top of that, many brokers don't offer MT5, only MT4.