New Monitors, what is your preference

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KingDong130, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Interesting! Thanks for the tip! I will look into it. I got too used to thinking 1 card 2 mons.

#41     Mar 30, 2010
  2. l2tradr

l2tradr

The website says that you can configure it with 2 ATI 3450 cards for 4DVI out puts, so it will run 4 monitors for sure, not sure what the onboard video is/means...don't know enough about computers. But yeah, if the version you suggest is cheaper, then why not? By optiplex being "cheaper", do you mean the components quality, durability?

#42     Mar 30, 2010
  3. That was established some years ago by ATI and NVIDIA. Now ATI moves forward. The 5xxx chip series supports 6 (!) monitors on one card if all are driven by displayport. That would be the EyeFinity 6 - with 2gb ram, coming in a month or two. It is based on the high end 5870, though, and will be pricy.

As we do not use that much 3d power for trading, I think the 5770 is decent. All 5xxx series cards now support 3 monitors in some configuration (2 only on HDMI / DVI, the rest has to be on displayport), but it seems technically a 5770 can drive 5 - powercolor thus makes a card that I think is perfect sized for traders. Not too much 3d power, and the price will be a lot better (plus less power usage and thus fan noise).

#43     Mar 30, 2010
  4. I am considering a monitor that can swivel from its horizontal "landscape" position to vertical "portrait." The reason is that I would like to stack a few charts on top of one another rather than side by side. The resolution of the 23" monitor in question is 1920 x 1080. I am wondering if the chart quality might degrade or otherwise change in some manner when flippng the screen to vertical. (For example, would it alter the number of price bars per horizontal inch, all else being equal, because of the disproportionate difference in horizontal/vertical resolution?) And so, if anyone uses such a screen for charting, can you please tell me if is there anything I should be aware of in this regard?

#44     Mar 30, 2010
  5. Make sure the moniutor supports tilting - not all do physically. WHile you CAN tilt them, the viewing angles may be very narrow then in the wrong side.

That said, I think of a 3 vertical + 2 horizontal setup, too...
    ...but with 2 horizontal down, 3 vertical on top. Vertical allows stacking charts easier. TOTALLY unsure, though ;) On top, gaming would be nicer with 3 vertical (one in the middle), and that is supported by eyefinity.

At the end, I think it has to be tried out. The monitors I use (1600x1200, Dell 2007 FP) support tilting. So, I can (try out).

#45     Mar 30, 2010
  6. "Onboard video" is a video function chip. Takes the place of a dedicated video card and saves money.... a characteristic of $40 mobos all over the world. This Optiplex is the first I've seen with onboard video and 2, PCIEx16 slots. Most el-cheapo mobos have onboard video, 1, PCIEx16 slot and 1, PCIEx1 slot... but you can't always run an x1 video card in the x1 slot because the BIOS may not allow it.

X58 is one of the high end mobos today. Prices range from about $150-$450.

#46     Mar 30, 2010
  7. Sorry, depending on what size of mobo you buy, video on board is neither crappy (ATI 4200 those days) nor uncommon.

Micro-ATX (I just love little cubes - even use some as servery in my office, with 8 hard discs in a little 2x5.25 SAS tray) basically all have on board graphics. We talk of boards in the 200 USD range. PLUS PCIe - one now, 2 starts showing up.

Basically the on board chip means I can use the same mobo for the secretary AND my trading rig - put in a graphics card as I need ;)

I understand thisis different in the Intel made mobo world - mostly as Intel on board graphics SUCKS (in 10 meter high letters). ATI has decent mobo graphics chips for some time.

#47     Mar 30, 2010
  8. A mere $1,999.00 at first blush.

That's chump change compared to one of the Nvidia FX Quadro 3D design cards.... $7,995.00... just for the video card alone... Sheesh!

#48     Mar 30, 2010
  9. You found a mobo with 5 PCIEx16 slots?

#49     Mar 30, 2010
  10. Yeah, but the powercolor eyefinity 5 will be around 200 USD at first sight. That is for 5 monitors.

Sorry, the 6th monitor is not worth that much to me. PLUS the high noise (more power consumption = moer heat). This is why I will go with it.

I also think NVidia has a problem now - ATI supports multiple eyefinity 6 and has demosntrated one computer running 24 screens with a custom mobo job of some kind.

Anyhow, it seems this gets mainstream now. The last reasons for "workstation" graphics cards disappear. Same chip anyway now, and now you don't even get the other stuff you may use as excuse ;)

#50     Mar 30, 2010