New Monitors, what is your preference

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KingDong130, Mar 23, 2010.

1. And the chaining of monitors doesn't slow them down or limit resolution? I didn't know that.

But how does monitor chaining reduce desk clutter? There will be a 5 ft cable connecting monitors instead of being connected to video cards... Or, are there 2 ft DP chaining cables??

Yes, DVI is being replace with DP. HDMI may(?) be going to be replaced with DP also. The bandwidth on the new DP 1.2 is 21 GB/s.

#11     Mar 24, 2010
  2. I have a set of Samsung 2343BWX. I used to skimp and buy cheap chinese ones, but in my experience they wont last long.

#12     Mar 24, 2010
  3. From what I understand Display Port uses just a panel while DVI/ VGA/ etc. use a panel + "tuner" or similar guts like a tv does.

In our pc we have a cpu and a gpu, both of which contribute to our display. In conventional monitors, there's some more computer components in there which further "process" the video signal. Display port gets rid of those extra "guts" and thereby results in a lower cost to produce, greater efficiency, and a standard which "should be" universally accepted. Will the retail cost go down? Will the cost remain constant while quality goes up? Maybe some of each.

The downside is display port is not reverse compatible with non-display port pc's & monitors so you have to match display port gpu with display monitor.

If you see something with display port + dvi, then it still has those "extra guts" inside and you won't be spending less.

#13     Mar 24, 2010
  4. My Dell 22's are definitely 1920x1080.

But if you buy something called "Full HD" as is the current marketing gimmick, verify the resolution because some manuf's are calling lower resolutions "Full HD" which is not defined anywhere.

#14     Mar 24, 2010
  5. "Full HD" is defined(?) as "1080p"... that is, the signal is not interlaced. That applies mostly (exclusively?) to TV signal....

What model Dell 22s do you have which are 1920x1080? (Must have tiny pixels and very sharp resolution... most 22" have .282mm pixels.)

#15     Mar 24, 2010
  6. There are only a few DP monitors... and I believe they're all 30"ers.

With nearly all other monitors, one can use either (1) a DVI-DP adapter or (2) DVI-DP cable to fit a "DP only" video card. No real advantage to that for trading, however.

#16     Mar 24, 2010
  7. I think all the new monitors are widescreen. Unless you want to buy some old ones. By "not" widescreen, you meant the old 4:3 ratio screen, right?

I have gradually phased out all my 4:3 LCD screens. Once you use a wide screen, you wouldn't want to go back. :)

But the new 21" wide is only roughly equivalent to the old 19" 4:3 screen.

You may want to have a quad monitor stand to hold your 4 new monitors. But they are expensive. Sometimes the monitor stand is more expensive than the monitors it is holding. Staples carry 3M's single monitor arms. Like $75 each. You can mount it on the edge of your desk like a desk lamp. Perhaps you can have 2 of those, while leave 2 just sitting on your desk surface.

#17     Mar 24, 2010
  8. bigpapi

bigpapi

walmart carries a beautiful widescreen hp for around 150, speakers built in, hd and excellent resolution

#18     Mar 24, 2010
  9. I prefer the 16:10 over the 16:9

#19     Mar 25, 2010
  10. Suspect 16:10 will be phased out in favor of smaller 1080 res.

#20     Mar 25, 2010