new monitor recommendations

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by boze_man, Oct 14, 2010.

1. why do you want trade off a TV? :confused:

#21     Oct 23, 2010
  2. You have an unusual combination. Because you plan to place 2 x 25" LCD monitors (resolution 1920 x 1080) side by side with a 46" HDTV/monitor with the same resolution.

Viewing the 46" display from 4 feet away is about right - comfortable. But a bit too far for the 25" display under the same resolution. Viewing from 2 feet away from the 25" would be comfortable... and probably no farther than that or else the details are not readable. Unless you want to change the resolution of the 25" down to something like 1080 x 720 to view from 4 feet away. That seems to be a bit of a waste.

#22     Oct 23, 2010
  3. i think he's just bored

#23     Oct 23, 2010
  4. So I can watch a whole bunch of DOM's running my Accordion strategies (automated). About half of each large LCD will be a certain chart set up I use to track a variety of instruments with some new automated signals I have built.....the other half will be DOM's.

#24     Oct 23, 2010
  5. The 25's will be side by side about 24" away from my seating position and the 46"/47" will be elevated centered above 25's and set back the distance I mentioned before.

#25     Oct 23, 2010
  6. I use dual Asus VE27Q 27".

www.hardforum.com go into display section they review monitors like crazy there..

#26     Oct 23, 2010
  7. RL8093

RL8093

Two factors that I have not seen mentioned in a while are monitor type (IPS, TN, etc) & backlight.

- monitor type - after using IPS for years, I got a Viewsonic TN - total POS - the vertical viewing angle stinks (by design) and it is difficult to view closely without having parts blackout. Once you've used IPS, you will not want to return to TN.

- backlight - LED backlights offer several advantages over the conventional cold cathode tubes including greater brightness control, longer life & reduced power consumption.

The bad news is that the only supplier of monitors with both technologies is Apple afaik. Both IPS & LED backlights are becoming more common but not together. If someone knows of a supplier, please shoot me a PM.

R

#27     Oct 23, 2010
  8. BTW, if anyone wants some cheap 28's here you go................

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4938558&Sku=H94-2804

I have a trader friend that bought some of these a few months back and they actually look very good for charting or watching DOM's (if you can handle 16:10 Widescreen LCD format with 15000:1 Dynamic contrast ratio).

Heads up......"black friday" this year there will be some MONSTER HDTV deals so be ready to go if you are looking right now.

28's for only $249......wonder what some of this pricing will be right after Christmas??? LOL! :D

#28     Oct 24, 2010