new monitor recommendations

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by boze_man, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Hogwash!

#11     Oct 15, 2010
  2. LEAPup

LEAPup

Yes, I wonder about that one too. I'm using 8, and don't notice any eye strain. However, I do notice some strain when I'm looking at all black charts, and any white background.

I like to set the monitors to a slate blue, or light grey. Any sugestions on what backgrounds are the "easier" one's on the eyes?

#12     Oct 15, 2010
  3. jokepie

jokepie

I believe Gray( towards white ) is better for eyes. Black background is the roughest but provided better contrast to charts and "some" say its quicker to absorb !!

#13     Oct 15, 2010
  4. I've used black background with cyan bars for years... can't see the "eye strain" argument at all.

White background with black bars seems waaaayyyyy too bright.

#14     Oct 19, 2010
  5. The optimal screen display...

I think there are 2 things that you should consider. And do a little research in the color theory...

#1) The overall luminosity (or brightness).
    #2) The contrast.

And whether the light is originated or reflected.

When you read a book, the light is reflected. When you look at the display on a LCD screen, the light is originated.

When you read a book indoor (e.g. under a lamp), the best is probably white background and dark color objects (good contrast). But reading the book under the bright sunlight would be bad for your eyes (reflecting too much of the sunlight). And you can't read (almost) the LCD screen under the sunlight either. Under the sun, LCD screen, probably light background (white) with dark color objects.

But indoor it is the opposite. Use dark background (black) with bright colors (red/green/yellow/cyan) to get the best contrast. Especially when you have multiple screens and you view them all day low. It helps protecting your vision.

#15     Oct 19, 2010
  6. So what are the BEST 46"/47" LCD's to run off i7 trading boxes for charting apps?

Looking at a few.............

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5745523&CatId=3650

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6044573&CatId=3650

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5705382&CatId=3650

What are the best video cards to run two Hp 25" (Hp2509m) surrounding one 46"/47" LCD (3 screens per i7 box)?

TIA for any advice!

#16     Oct 23, 2010
  7. Those are 46/47" HDTV. How far do you plan to sit from the display?

#17     Oct 23, 2010
  8. The large LCD's will be about 42" to 48" from my seating position.

#18     Oct 23, 2010

9. Most people with set ups where 8 monitors is the center piece do not last long enough to feel the pain. There must be a reason why a lot of people are either wearing glasses, use contact lens or have done the operation. I doubt it is from looking at the clouds and spending too much time looking at the forest. Sitting in front of 8 monitors will have a negative effect on your eyes. Ask any eye doctor. Or even better, ask yourself at 4:15 when market stops and we all go for that bathroom break; How do your eyes feel? A bit strained I would imagine. Yet many do not want to admit. I know that in your case I am speaking to the converted, but there are plenty of folks who still do not get it.

I remember my first introduction to the trader and 8 monitors set up. I and the other 4 guys were so impressed with it. The WOW factor was surely there. Once he powered it up it was like Christmas tree at NASA. FAst forward 5 years and he is now asking me how to trade. Oh yeah his glasses are also nice looking and match his set up. LOL

Trading with 8 monitors is like trading with 20 indicators. For all the newbs it looks oh so cool and the glitz is surely there, but in the end it is not needed and it will screw your eyes in the long run.

Peace!

#19     Oct 23, 2010
  10. And finished with "Peace."

Sometimes I wonder why people scrap with me Saxon.

But on the more important note:
    - dark on light is easier on the eyes according the optometrists
    - your background (wall) colour should blend with monitor colour for least strain
    - if the screens seem to bright use an off white colour.

I found that using candlesticks rather than bars and also using vertical and horizontal grids reduced the perception of glare a lot.

I use 2 screens (2x22ws) fwiw. Sometimes I think 2 more would be good but I have yet to go there. More than 4 seems unnecessary.

#20     Oct 23, 2010