New meta-analysis checks the correlation between intelligence and faith

Discussion in 'Politics' started by bigarrow, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Lucrum

Lucrum

Actually he does, he's extremely insecure.

#21     Aug 13, 2013
  2. Everyone has faith. You just don't have any in religion, which is fine, but everyone has faith. You have faith when you fly in a plane that everyone from the baggage handlers to the pilot can do there job correctly. You climb in a vehicle and someone else is driving, you have faith in their ability to drive safely. You make a trade and you have faith it will be executed properly. You eat dinner and you have faith you're not being poisioned. We practice faith every single day with any number of things.
    See, you are dumb enough.:p

Faith:confidence or trust in a person or thing: faith in another's ability

#22     Aug 13, 2013
  3. Arnie

Arnie

What is the correlation of age to faith?

I would bet someone that is 80 is a whole lot more accepting of faith than some 20 yr old, regardless of their level of intelligence.

#23     Aug 13, 2013
  4. Max E.

Max E.

:D

#24     Aug 13, 2013
  5. I don't know about greater value, everybody has to do something. I like my work both the contracting and insurance adjusting and both pay well so I can't complain.

#25     Aug 13, 2013
  6. All work has value. On a side note I labored one summer, way back when, for a roofing outfit. Paid me a buck a bundle to carry'em up. What a ball busting summer that was, but I was in great shape. They let me lay down a few square by the end of the summer. Beat the shit out of my thumb with that roofing hammer. F'n thing is like a meat tenderizer. Let me know roofing was not a career for me.:eek:

#26     Aug 13, 2013
  7. Ricter

Ricter

Satan may be very busy in his work, too.

#27     Aug 13, 2013
  8. I'm not religious (describe myself as a devout agnostic), so maybe I have no dog in this fight; but I have to point out the obvious hypocrisy here.

The same people who use measures of intelligence to belittle religious people go ape-shit crazy if you point out to them the statistically significant correlations between intelligence and race. They immediately scream that intelligence tests are "inaccurate" and "misleading."

#28     Aug 13, 2013
  9. Ricter

Ricter

I think that's a very fair point, and is like what Cap'n basically said, that test designers make tests they themselves can pass.

Poverty is the more highly correlated variable, and it makes sense that since poverty lowers IQ it may also raise religiosity.

#29     Aug 13, 2013
  10. Good points but that doesn't change the results of the study. Isn't an agnostic and atheist basically the same thing? I can't tell any difference.

#30     Aug 13, 2013