new messages continued

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by voodoo_invest, Aug 30, 2001.

1. I have a suggestion. The new messages arrow is helpful, however, I would preffer that it worked in a somwhat different way.

Currently, when you view the discussion page, it will check when you viewed this page last, check if there are new messages in any of the threads, and pick the appropriate folder/arrow to show next to the thread name.

This means that you always have to use the back button to get back to the discussion page. If you use the link at the top of the page, or if you accidentally refresh the discussion page, you will lose the new posts info.

Also if it takes you a while to go through all the pages, by the time you go down to the last section there may have been new messages posted in the last section since you refreshed the discussion page. This means that the next time you see the discussion page, it will show new posts folders/arrows pointing to stuff you have already read. You will basically waste time checking out old thread indexes and old posts.

It would be nice if this worked the same way SI does. In other words, if the discussion page showed a new posts folder next to a section ONLY if there are new posts in the section since the last time a user has seen the thread index for that section (or better yet, if there are new posts in any of the threads since the last time a user saw the last page of the thread. or at least any page in the thread.)

I guess the easiest way to determine what folder to show next to a thread name would be to simply compare the current last post number with the last post number at the time the user last clicked on either the name of the thread, the new messages arrow, or any other link on the site that would show posts in the thread (if you don't use post numbers than compare the dates.)

...or something like that.

voodoo