New Mayor for Chicago

Discussion in 'Politics' started by CaptainObvious, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Exactly when I saw the thread, they were talking about it on Morning Joe:confused:

2. Anyone who takes over as Mayor is gonna inherit a world of hurt. Chicago is in deap shit. I hope no Republican in his right mind would even think of running.

Daley is a coward. When things are great, he spends lavishly. Now that things went to hell, thanks to Obama & the Democrats, Daley's gonna jump ship. Let somebody else take the dirty laundry. [​IMG]

3. 377OHMS

377OHMS

I once worked at a large hedgefund on Dearborn Ave. The was a bakery cafe across the street that I liked. I would have an early breakfast there sometimes and sit and enjoy my coffee. The place would slowly fill up with...city employees. I've never seen so many. Every manner of uniform you could think of. Those were just the ones I could identify. The have superintendents to watch the supervisors who watch the dog-catchers.

When I got my chicago property tax bill I knew where the money was going, towards legions of city jobs doled out by the patronage system. I've never seen anything like it and I'm from a fairly large city, Los Angeles. Chicago is the most corrupt city in America. Its a real shame we have such open corruption in our country.

4. Rahm has a residency issue to overcome.

Only military duty excuses someone from having to physically occupy a home to claim residency when they are away from the city. Rahm doesn't fit that description.

Rumor has it that Rahm will be claiming he was "serving his country" while in D.C. The guy is actually going to equate himself to a Veteran.

Should be entertaining.

5. If you think the chicago machine will obey the law good luck. There will be no entertainment, rahm will be in.

6. This article will give some insight as to the REAL reason "da maya" is retiring. Page 3 is particularly interesting.
    Some excerpts:
    Chicago's pension crisis threatens to stain the legacy of Mayor Richard Daley, who has been at the helm of city government for the past two decades and appoints some of the trustees to the city's pension boards

The political horse-trading that has diminished all of the city's pension funds can be viewed most dramatically through the recent history of the Chicago Teachers' Pension Fund.

For decades, the pension was robust, with funding levels sometimes exceeding 100 percent. But by next year the funding level is expected to drop below 60 percent, placing the retirement security of nearly 60,000 active and retired teachers in jeopardy while imperiling the public school budget.

This predicament can be traced to decisions made in the wake of Mayor Richard Daley's takeover of the public school system in 1995.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...bune news - Local news)&utm_source=feedburner