New massive TRADER SETUP [pics] flikr

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jtnet, Mar 1, 2010.

1. I see a lot of money wasted there - but whatever floats your boat.

#1, why would you assemble before construction is complete?

#2, that cabling and wiring is pretty JV/poor IMO

#3, in addition to lack of finish work, the racks/shelves are pretty crude looking

#4, I didn't see any AC in there - that's going to be one m'f'ing hot room

#5, there is never a need for that many monitors with just one set of eyes. Six or maybe even eight monitors max but never 20++, that's just foolish

That guy's money would be much better spent building out an air conditioned server closet and using rack-mount space with one central battery backup. A build at that level with retail grade hardware is pretty JV.

Cool that he DIY - but not cool that he wasted so much time & effort on something that isn't done properly.

#21     Mar 2, 2010
  2. Specterx

Specterx

The number of monitors is probably unnecessary.

But hey, building the thing makes for a nice home improvement project. I want one someday :cool:

#22     Mar 3, 2010
  3. 11Blade

11Blade

Lots of electricity and neck movement. You can't watch all those monitors all the time. Even if you need that many charts/screens and timeframes, a better ergonomic strategy would be to run multiple desktops and tab between 4-6 monitors.

I pray that after all that investment in wiring, screens, cpus. you invested in a few things that are way more important over the
    long term.

1. ergonomic chair
    2. ergonomic mice/keyboards/synergy
    3. cooling! lots of heat.

I've been in front of computers since 1979, day-in and day-out it does critical damage to your spine, joints and eyes. Its a great race but not worth a lick if you are in horrible shape to enjoy it!

happy trading.

11Blade

#24     Mar 14, 2010
  4. Half the fun in life is overkill so I say, Balls Out Dude, nice set up!!

#25     Mar 14, 2010