New massive TRADER SETUP [pics] flikr

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jtnet, Mar 1, 2010.

1. I would bet that you could make that setup more efficient.

#11     Mar 1, 2010

2. Why is the imediate reaction, next comes what a moron!

i guess you practice moving your head like some kind of pigeon all day long looking at screens back and forth--- while the smart traders program triggers or whatever and "watch" 10000 symbols automatically via the computer.

THERE IS ZERO USE FOR THAT excessive MULTI SCREEN NONSENSE, ZERO.

Pigion

#12     Mar 1, 2010
  3. No, he wants to look cool for the house guests or whomever.

nothing else makes sense, nothing! Unless you are some kind of genius pigeon bobble head chart watcher ??!! It only impresses those who don't know any better or children who like the colors.

Some people collect baseball cards, these clowns collect monitors like they are some kind of icon.

Then to top it off, they post pictures of them wanting adulation from serious real traders!! How sad is that??

#13     Mar 1, 2010
  4. ET is no place for sensible intellectural exchange, just a place for name calling for people with strong opinions behind a computer screen.

#14     Mar 1, 2010
  5. What kind of sensible intellectual exchange can we have about the # of monitors that can be effectively used?

Perhaps you can contribute to the sensibility -

#15     Mar 1, 2010
  6. Then please explain the purpose of 20 plus screens?

Either you simply don't know how to program, don't have the money to pay someone to do it, or want to impress others.

First, you post it for adulation.

Pigeon Booble heads--- there are studies on the web that indicate the stupidity of monitor collections and the bigger the collection the smaller the manunit and less profits.

You simply cant be a pigeion bobble head and think

#16     Mar 1, 2010
  7. Yes, go back to Yahoo boards or Clearstation to impress the other non traders with your 21 screens. You will only get grief from those who know better.

#17     Mar 1, 2010
  8. Okay, cgeorgan: I will respond to you because you are very courteous in your posts. I am not responding to those who do nothing but chastising.

I don't know how others use their multi screens. I can only tell you how I use mine.

I follow and actively trade about 5 stocks, day-in, day-out:

AAPL, GS, SPY, FAS, RIMM

For each stock, I like to look at the multiple time-frames:

42-tick, 1-min, and either 5-min or 10-min.

And I like to view those in details.

5 stocks, 3 time-frames each, that's 15 screens. But I do combine some of them on the 5min/10min charts.

I use 3 screens for monitoring about 30+ stocks that I don't trade day-in/day-out but keep an interest for occassional swing trades. I have 2 screens for the 5 stocks 1-min side-by-side. I like to trade the relative strength/weakness of these stocks. (e.g. for the last hour today, I shorted GS and longed AAPL because GS looked weak compared to AAPL).

There is also a screen for monitoring the broad markets (e.g. S&P, VIX, TICK, TRIN, and other sectors.)

I do experiment with new ideas from time to time so I may put a chart here and there with different signal programs.

I do trading for a living. Have been for 3 years.

I am not saying my set up is the best, or even good. That is just the way I trade and it works for me. I have nothing but admirations for those who can trade off their I-phones or hand the money to a black box system. Whatever works for them.

But this board seems to be populated with those who think they know the universe and his way is the only way to make money and anything else is nonsense.

I don't use auto trading systems. All discretionary.
    Do I know anything about computer programming? Only a little. Since B.A.S.I.C. and Fortran IV and Intel 8086 Assembly in 1979. Then Pascal, C, perl, ksh, and more recently Visual Basic and C++ and C#. Being a former computer software technical support did not get me very far.
    So somebody think they know me?

#19     Mar 1, 2010
  9. Bolimomo-

Thank you for your response.

I have been trading for a while myself. What I know is this: I have always been able to adjust my setups to the # of monitors available.

There have been times where I was limited to two monitors. At other times, I've had as many as 4 30" monitors.

The fewer monitors I have, the more efficient I am with what I'm doing. I use a lot of tabs; I eliminate overlap and I focus on what's absolutely necessary. Instead of 8 charts, I have 1 chart and a list of stocks that's linked to a single chart that responds to a double click - stuff like that.

I'm not a stranger to large, multi-screen setups (as mentioned). I think most people would prefer more, not fewer, setups. I would say in an ideal world, 4 would be the most any one person would need...more is overkill.

So, that's where I'm coming from.

CG

#20     Mar 1, 2010