New Market Wizards Book

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by guru, Jun 28, 2020.

1. I ordered the book, then skimmed the Table of Contents and saw that Peter Brandt is the first trader profiled. Shall I cancel the order?

#41     Oct 16, 2020
    Gaslight Capital likes this.
  2. ZBZB

ZBZB

Has anyone read it yet? How is it?

#42     Nov 18, 2020
  3. SteveM

SteveM

I'd say good but not great. The first Market Wizard book continues to be the best of them all in my opinion. Maybe it's because I first read the original book 12 years ago, and was more excited about all things trading back then compared to today, where I'm a bit more cynical and jaded.

I dunno, but something about the first book and those stories of the trading pits, Commodities Corporation, and rags to riches tales just come across as much more exciting than a small retail guy today discussing how he waits in front of his computer screen for an ECB announcement. Richard Dennis, Seykota, and Mike Marcus seemed like they offered much more trading depth (psychology, interesting stories, etc) than these interviews.

With that said, the best part of the book is that it really does give the small retail trader hope that it really can be done - the "little guy" really can get rich from trading, as these interviewees prove. Don't expect them to spill all the beans in the way of actual strategies to achieve that goal, however....unless "buy 100 bunds contracts after the ECB announcement" is an actual strategy.

I was amazed at how many times central banks were mentioned in these interviews (which is probably just a sign of the times that traders live in today) compared to the earlier books. I also could not help but think a couple of the interviewees had a real "blow up risk" that might be exposed in due time, that they did not appreciate, just by the way they discussed some of their blunders.

Anyway, I might be a bit too critical of the book....I just find that most sequels never really live up to the original.

#43     Nov 19, 2020
  4. I just picked it up and made it through two chapters already. So far, so good! :)

What I like about this book and also Hedge Fund Wizards is that it describes events which happened in the most recent past and markets which I myself have been part of and witnessed myself. As such, I can more easily relate compared to the older books.

#44     Nov 21, 2020
    rambling likes this.
  5. .sigma

.sigma

Just got the book yesterday. Started reading, I'll give a review once I'm done.

But jeez, a lot of insecure "traders" in this thread.

Its like successful traders can't exist.

Jack writes books for entertainment purposes. But its also an educational tale with audited returns to back the stories. Schwager has given us book after book of classics. I enjoy his work.

Idk if you guys have read other trading books where interviews are conducted. While their are some gems out there, most of those books don't come close to the Wizard content.

#45     Nov 27, 2020
    Laissez Faire likes this.
  6. Okay, you convinced me. You shouldn't read this book.

#46     Dec 3, 2020
    PoundTheRock likes this.
  7. The first 50 pages from Peter Brandt were garbage. Schwager has a blind spot for this guy.

#47     Dec 3, 2020
  8. ZBZB

ZBZB