NEW LOW for CNBC

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Surdo, Oct 4, 2007.

1. rickf

rickf

Sort of related, in terms of every day seems to show me a NEW LOW for CNBC........so I was more than a little happy to receive a letter from Comcast today saying that on 10/29 we're getting Bloomberg and Fox Business here in Northern Virginia. Thank gods -- I've been tuning out CNBC's rah-rah attitude, World-of-Warcraft soundfx this past month or so because it got SO pathetic it's useless beyond knowing what was 'news' five or ten minutes earlier.

The final straw? During today's sell-off, the market's are going wild, and they're still running the g---damn orange banner shouting "S&P/DOW X.XX from Record Close"....it was kind of amusing to see that number grow as the markets fell. I mean, aside from the cheerleading and focus on "record closes" and "all time highs" they're continuing to pander and go ultra-gimmicky on the financial news side of things while also raising the amount of political coverage....this is (was?) a business (news?) channel, or so I thought -- if I want politics, I'll go to MSNBC or Fox.

At least Bloomberg isn't (from what I can tell) hype-filled and you get some decent analysis/commentary without a lot of special screen wipes and incessant sound effects. Plus, with the full channel now, I can get information in what's generally a HUGE gap in CNBC's schedule -- primetime on Bloomberg won't be game shows or infomercials or reruns, but Asian and European market coverage....infinately more appropriate for a "business" tv network, especially on goofy days like today.

While I don't trade off the TV, I am just thankful to have more choices in business news coverage soon. Thus endeth the rant.

#21     Oct 11, 2007
  2. Do rich people really watch CNBC?? Its content is more suitable for pikers or dumb money.

"An internal memo sent by CNBC president Mark Hoffman to the staff. It is about the network's third quarter ratings:

In the 3rd quarter, ratings for Business Day are up 32% in the 25-54 demo. That is our best 3rd quarter since 2002. And during market hours, CNBC was up 34% compared with last year’s 3rd quarter. That is our best 3rd quarter rating since 2000.

"for September '07, CNBC has the highest median income among adults 25-54 for all cable networks during our Business Day programming. CNBC is the network for the wealthy and those who aspire to be wealthy."

#22     Oct 12, 2007
  3. I had to shower after this one.

How bout the "Sunni Triangle" of Karen Chetney???? LMAO

#23     Oct 12, 2007