New linux based OS

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by traderdon56, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Hi ktm,

Not yet. There might be either way, but they are not very apparent and so I didn't look for them.

My main concern is not to have to spend too much time in sorting out all kind of installation trouble on different architectures. Further, as I am very Qt based in my Python applications, Novell/Suse suits me well because of their KDE following. (BTW I prefer often gnome). As you know me I'm very performance minded but my only true focus is my trading work. So things are a continuous tradeoff. I can't do without a good OS environment. That's why I am very happy I finally dumped the last bit of any active XP not too long ago.

All by all Suse has its gotchas, like Gentoo. If I have to change, under Linux I now can do it like lightening. :cool:

Be good,
    nononsense

#41     Aug 26, 2005
  2. cool. thanks

#42     Aug 26, 2005
  3. Or was that Palo Alto Research center ? PARC.

Actually Zerox came up with it first - hilariously - and Sun, IBM, Apple, and Microsoft all decided to use the term ......

Get your facts straight: Moden GUI interfaces started way back in the '70s ....

#43     Aug 26, 2005
  4. Even today the vaulted Windows system installers still end up with occasional conflicts.

Portage is a very nice management system - Redhats RPM is less so .... but they all work.

#44     Aug 26, 2005
  5. I agree 100%. I used portage a lot. Better keep disk image backups ready in case you screw up though! (Risk for compiler/library mismatches very difficult to recover from! :( ) If you don't believe me, dive into the forums, you'll find out.
    The above is not demeaning, I think portage is very nice, very time consuming and packages don't always work as expected.
    Suse Pro 9.3 with its Yast is more convenient to use and you find about the same choice of packages (also for the single one you're missing if you know the ropes a bit). I install still some things by compiling, but no more 18+ hours for things like OpenOffice, KDE, X11, etc. The touted greater efficiency is perhaps true for a few percentage points but it puts a tremendous burden on the USE flags to do things right: simply not worth it for most.
    Still Gentoo is great, but my priorities lie elsewhere. In fact my last usage practice for Gentoo was to ONLY install everything binary at OS install time and NEVER upgrade. With Suse, upgrades have been without hassle (sofar :) )

#45     Aug 26, 2005

6. Actually I just maintain a couple of systems images and an internal repository and this gets around any instalation issues......

#46     Aug 26, 2005
  7. brandnew

brandnew

My bad... thanks for enlightment :) Have done a bit research on the topic, but no text confirmed it was called "window" by Xerox or Apple. Did they?

#47     Aug 26, 2005
  8. Informally around PARC the terminology "window" was sometimes used ... I dont believe they trademarked this term: Xerox bascically shut down PARC when they decide that they wanted more research focued on copiers .... otherd recognized the opportunity where senior Xerox management did not .....

#48     Aug 26, 2005