New Leveraged ProShares ETFs Coming

Discussion in 'ETFs' started by jamis359, May 29, 2006.

1. 8 out of 12 of the ETFs are now listed on AMEX

PSQ Short QQQ ProShares Inverse of the NASDAQ-100 Index
    SH Short S&P500 ProShares Inverse of the S&P 500 Index
    MYY Short MidCap400 ProShares Inverse of the S&P MidCap 400 Index
    DOG Short Dow30 ProShares Inverse of the Dow Jones Industrial Average

QLD Ultra QQQ ProShares Double the NASDAQ-100 Index
    SSO Ultra S&P500 ProShares Double the S&P 500 Index
    MVV Ultra MidCap400 ProShares Double the S&P MidCap 400 Index
    DDM Ultra Dow30 ProShares Double the Dow Jones Industrial Average

===

I think the symbol for inverse of the Dow, DOG, is hilarious... a twist on Dogs of the Dow :)

#11     Jul 4, 2006
  2. Beware Jedi Knight, To find the force you must do Iron Condor Dog!

Before you know it, we'll have options on these derivatives-based ETFs, then futures of them, then futures options on them. :)

Whats the likelyhood that any of these ETFs could blow out to 0 ? If they have any option writing, there is some possibility. I assume they're just buying and selling puts and calls in safe amounts that correspond to their cash position (as to not allow too much drawdown). I think in a lower interest rate environment, where its hard to generate enough income to offset put and call cost, it'll be tougher for funds like this to survive.

Its interesting -- if products like this actually catch on in the mainstream market (ie every financial advisor recommending them for their long customers as a pre-managed hedge), I would imagine options volumes will shoot up -- thus possibly stimulating desire for more competition in the options exchange business (thus leading to lower bid/ask spreads and less quantization in the future) ?? Any opinions?? Or is that too optimistic.

#12     Jul 4, 2006
  3. zxcv1fu

zxcv1fu

These ETF 's are better than the Rydex bear fund the I currently have in my IRA. Now I can enter/exit anytime instead of the once or twice a day restriction.

#13     Jul 4, 2006
  4. galiano

galiano