New IB user Ready to Quit

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by white17, Aug 3, 2002.

1. Everytime I get so close, I get so aggravated. How hard would it be just to have an active demo of a typical day? Especially on weekends when I have a little time to test it. Kind of hard to test a trailing stop when you have to wait an hour for a one tick move.
    Oh well, I guess I'll go try the tutorial. ooops, I forgot, that doesn't work either. Sure would be nice to be saving all that commission money. Maybe I'll go put in an after hours globex order with a stop, just because I can.

#31     Aug 4, 2002
  2. How do they work? I have been using IB TWS for some months but have never tried the hot keys? Any examples? Thanks...

#32     Aug 4, 2002
  3. Amkeer

Amkeer

You can trade as many times as you want as long as your not using margin. If you use margin, you are limited to 3 or 5 trades per 5 day period, from what I recall. If you are funded to 25000 then the rule doesn't apply unless your account falls below that amount.:) :D

#33     Aug 4, 2002
  4. "i promised if they ever put those HUGE icons from the toolbar on a diet that i would never complain about anything ever again"

Qwiktrade,

Have you ever thought about unchecking the show icon box and just using the show text only in the toolbar setup? That's what I've done and it works fine; you can even change the font size.

#34     Aug 4, 2002
  5. Wally, Go to settings, then hotkeys. You have to scroll down to see them all. You can set them anyway you want. But the thing is, for some reason they are much quicker than using the mouse. The first time I didn't get it because I didn't realize you could set up a hot key for Transmit. Also the "price up" hot key is much better than the wand. I don't know what the deal is with the mouse, the hotkeys are definitely better in my opinion.

#35     Aug 4, 2002
  6. I must admit! I'm skeeered to use hot keys!

#36     Aug 4, 2002
  7. yeah buddy =).. i have it set with small icons now, but for a long time the only ones available were the big ones that took up half the screen..

-qwik

#37     Aug 4, 2002
  8. graeco

graeco Guest

I also am a newbie at IB.At the moment account login works but trade login will not let me in.Any ideas?
    Also there seems to be more than one version of TWS.Which TWS method will take up the least amount of space on my HD?
    Which TWS method will give the fastest login?Do you always have to go to IB homepage to login or are there other ways?
    I just want to swing trade my little IRA.I dont need all the bells and whistles.
    Actually the trade login let me in once.The login thingy formed and I loged in.Then I closed the IB page to see if the trading page would remain.But it didnt and I havent been able to get back in.

#38     Aug 4, 2002
  9. There is no need to manually close the little login page. It goes away by itself. If you close the page manaully, I'm guessing that you are stopping the login process from completeing. Leave it alone until the login process fully finishes.

#39     Aug 4, 2002
  10. graeco,

I never checked but I would think the browser based platform would take up the least amount of space on a hard drive.

I like the stand alone (java script version) for logging on. I have a 'trader work station' icon on my desktop and I click on it. enter my username and password and I up and running pretty quickly that way. You must download and run the java script. (there is a link provided for it under IB's instructions.)

On weekends TWS is often inaccessible and also around midnight.(click on trading sytem / system staus for the hours) Best I can remember, when I first moved to IB, I couldn't alway get the demo to work. I did however get it to work enough times to train on it and familiarize myself with it's order entry, procedures. Trading futures, all order entry has to be done from the command line, (at least it did when I signed on) so I wanted to become comfortable with it before using it to put my $ in the market.

If you are still having problems with it tomorrow, you can use IB chat or IB email and they usually respond within reasonable time. I had a couple of questions and I think it was the chat that I used with good results.

Also, anytime you want, feel free to click on my name beside one of my posts and send me a private message or e-mail with any questions that you might have. If I can't give you a good answer, maybe I can help you find someone who can. I usually don't check my email or private messages during trading hours, but sometimes do during midday doldrums.

Best regards and don't give up.

plumlazy

#40     Aug 5, 2002