new here...looking for some advice?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by cash2trump, Aug 31, 2005.

1. I'm new to the site and i just want to break the ice with a thread. I'm starting a Financial Advisor program within Merrill Lynch in the Spring. For prospecting, I'm planning on playing golf, cold calling, door to door pitching for these prospects. I'm also doing a little charity work. :) Any other suggestions on prospecting a client? bagging elephants? I know the referrals will come once the business gets going. let me know how you guys have handled your achievement.

2. thanks man. I just ordered a bunch of books off of amazon. A little client for life stuff, behavioral finance, and the new financial advisor. they're very short so adding this would be nothing. thanks again and i'm happy to be here. Just hope my company will not filter this from the internet.

3. Try the forum on RegisteredRep.com. There are some people there with good knowledge of the Financial Advisory business. I used to go there a lot before I realized how little value FA's add for their clients. Hope that you never figure this out cause if you do you wont like what you are doing very much anymore. It also sucks having to look at human beings as targets all the time. If you dont mind manipulating people's perceptions day in and day out then you will do great in the business. You can make a great income if you can stick it out for the first 2-3 years, but it pales in comparison to what a successful trader can make (not to mention that a good trader doesn't have to answer to anyone but himself, which in my opinion is priceless in itself).

PS- I was never an FA, but assisted a very successful one for 1.25 years. He was very good to me so I am not bitter, but I realized that most are very sociopathic. The better the Rep, the more of a sociopath. Sad but true in my opinion.