new forum request: book recommendations/reviews

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by stockmarketbeginner, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Hello,

I think it would be good if there was a forum that discusses/recommends books on trading, investing, etc. Maybe the forum could be piloted for six months to see if there is any interest.

It might turn into a hype forum, so I'm not sure if it is a good idea. But I like reading books, and I'm sure there are traders/investors around here that know about good books, or can give a good evaluation of a new book.

2. lindq

lindq

ET for years had reviews of books, software, vendors. But they were deleted, which is a shame, as it was the most valuable area of the site.

At the time, when I and others complained, Baron explained that he was tired of dealing with the responses from vendors to negative reviews. (My feeling is, and was, that if you own a site that is 100% user created content, why remove that which is valuable to your users?)

But you may want to ask him to explain in his own words.

3. volente_00

volente_00

Because those questioning Baron probably have their own legal team and are willing to waste time and money dragging him to court. As you get older you learn some fights are not just worth it and it's cheaper and less stress just to walk away especially when pertaining to business and money

Baron likes this.
  4. JSOP

JSOP

You can always start a thread about book reviews.

5. Peter8519

Peter8519

I am a one person operation so I don't have time and resource for complex system and algo. I grab free EOD data and read daily chart on 50, 100, 150 and 200MA. I track those stocks that above these 4 MAs everyday. So, I don't need to read books on TA and system building. But I like reading the classics and it's so true after years of experience in the market.
    1. Reminiscences of a stock operator
    2. ABC of Stock Speculation
    3. One Way Pockets
    4. Trend Following
    5. Secrets of Profiting in Bull and Bear Markets
    6. Trading in the zone
    7. Trading for a living
    The irony is that it's difficult to understand these books without market experience.

6. Baron

Baron ET Founder

When I had the review system in place, not a week went by that I didn't get a letter from some attorney raising hell about the reviews that were posted about his client. After years of going back and forth with those people, I eventually realized that being a middle man between anonymous users and companies that don't even support us is about the stupidest thing ever.

7. Isn't that considered free speech or whatever, to say whatever you want ...about someone's book, or product?

Does Amazon or eBay or IMDB get sued for ugly reviews posted?

8. Baron

Baron ET Founder

Sure, it's free speech if you want to stand up and state what your real name is and take full responsibility for the review you posted.

However, in my experience.... 99.9% of the time the anonymous users who posted the reviews were unwilling to reveal their true identity, which gave them no credibility whatsoever, and forced the removal of their reviews. If they aren't going to claim responsibility themselves then it's pointless for me to try to defend them from my end.

9. truetype

truetype

If the goal is more real-name users, might be good to police those users' threads and journals to cut down on trolls and stalkers.

10. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

What if the real-name user is the troll?

#10     Apr 18, 2018