New FireWall - Can't access Platform - Need Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Flashboy, Feb 26, 2009.

1. I work on a network and they just installed a new firewall that will not allow streaming audio or video.

Of course this interferes with my trading platform.

Anyone have any ideas on how to work around this? If at all possible

Thanks

2. There's a program named OffSurf that may be able to help.
    Haven't used it, just seen reference to it on the web.

smitty

3. great. I can't access the dowload because the site for the dowload is blocked also.. LOL

I'm reading up on some info. that may help though.

thanks

4. your best approach, imo, is to leave the trading computer at home, and then use a VPN from the office to your house. VPNs generally go through firewalls just fine.

Then run remote desktop, citrix or something like that.

Another choice is to go through a proxy server, but most good enterprise class firewall dynamically disable known proxy servers for this exact reason.

Edit: even simpler - get yourself one of those sub $500 netbooks and a broadband wireless card. That way you're completely free.

5. thanks. I just contacted a VPN provider. only problem is when at work, I have to hide my trading. will I be able to toggle back and forth fairly easily?

6. think of the VPN as a "modem". You (using the internet), "dial" into your home computer.

You view your home desktop (aka remote desktop) as a window on your current desktop. If anyone comes to visit you at the office, you close the remote desktop window or minimize it. Home computer is still running/trading, but it's no longer visible.

7. Okay.. that doesnt' work because the firewall seems to be blocking access to the VPN.

Do you know if I can use a local internet connection (the one that plugs into the USB port) and do a local area connection outside of the network?

thanks for the help.

8. mtt

mtt

You would have to ask the computer administrator to open up the ports which he probably won't do.

Do you work in proximity to a "public" wireless hotspot? If so, you could piggyback on one of them with a laptop computer.

You could also use those 3G laptop based wireless services like Verizon and AT&T offers but beware their usage is not unlimited so you can't stream quotes all day.

As for using any business network and trying to hide things by toggling the screen, I don't recommend it. The computer administrator most likely has monitoring software that is tracking your every move. Use the business computer only for work and keep personal stuff at home or on your own computer.

9. The OP is a thief, stealing from his company for personal gains. It is morally wrong to help him to steal.

Unless your company has trading account for you, you should talk to your company IT person.

10. Yes.. I guess you could see it that way. But trust me when the CFO who sits behind me and does nothing all day but his own personal finances because he's about to retire, as well as many others here screwing around all day, I don't feel guilty. Not that that makes it right.. just saying, I don't feel guilty.

#10     Mar 2, 2009