New ES Margin from CME

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by ktm, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Pabst

Pabst

The increased margins at the CME are in response to higher index values as well as the reality that renewed domestic terror could break the markets 5-10% overnight. You should know that some traders sold the market merely because of futures margins being raised today!

Tradestation and many other firms offer cheaper than 50% daytrading margins. There is clearly a disconnect between the fear of a huge overnight gap and the normal narrow range chop of the indices. While overnight margins are mandated by CME Clearing, daytrade margins are purely discretionary on behalf of the member firms.

#11     Nov 17, 2003

2. Am I paranoid for worrying about firms that lower margin?

#12     Nov 17, 2003
  3. Just ONE MORE REASON TO TRADE BONDS!

:D

#13     Nov 17, 2003
  4. ...missed the boat by raising their intraday margins, while TS didn't as much. Are you reading, IB? Ya wanna loose a pissant customer like me?

#14     Nov 17, 2003

5. Interesting....I'd be tempted to move from IB if they did!

#15     Nov 17, 2003
  6. ...I'll just jack up my account to accommodate the number of cars I'm currently trading, but I will be very much tempted to open a test account with MB trading or some such. I am only dependent on E-Signal as a vehicle for my codes, the broker is secondary. I'd go where the margin was lower even if it meant a HIGHER commission, as long as they're as fast and error-free as IB.

#16     Nov 17, 2003

7. All I am saying is I want a firm that is solvent if we have a severe market break. I stick my neck out trading and want a broker who doesnt.....eg: like their conservatism.

#17     Nov 17, 2003
  8. don't worry your 3K is safe :p

#18     Nov 17, 2003
  9. None of you guys have to worry abt breaking the bank at IB. Because as soon as the market breaks 2 points your position will get instantly sold at the market and your $2K account will be closed.

We're not exactly talking George Soros trying to dump 5,000 S&P contracts after Black Monday here, are we?

#19     Nov 17, 2003

10. LOL...a tad more than that wiseass.....sorry kid but having traded during 87 you think of inconsequentials liek that.

#20     Nov 17, 2003