New E-Mini traders (under 25K traders) trading journal

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by GaretJax, Oct 3, 2001.

1. MORE

MORE

to wild and def

thanks a lot for information :)

#21     Oct 4, 2001
  2. js1257

js1257

Damonjanis who is your broker and what platform are you using?

#22     Oct 4, 2001
  3. juggernaut

I guess its in the eye of the beholder. I still dont see it. The first 30 min. is sort of a range but there is a higher high and a higher low there, then it goes parabolic. I have my own method for determining a trend day. When I'm stopped out on my third try at shorting the top. :)

#23     Oct 4, 2001
  4. scalperwizard-
    Terra Nova...will be offering futures trading, but for some reason it might not be available until January....you'd would think they would have planned ahead and been ready to go by Sept 28th...go figure

#24     Oct 4, 2001
  5. Michael,
    The chart is custom, I wrote my own charting application. :cool:

#25     Oct 4, 2001
  6. Atlantic

Atlantic

today i made my very first experiences trading the nq-mini (with IB) - i did a few careful scalps.

i made some dollars - but moreover - what really satisfies me so far is the technical part of mini-trading. one routing way - fast fills - no problems. a totally different world - compared to trading stocks - imho.

what do you friends think about it?

#26     Oct 4, 2001
  7. js1257,

My broker is IB, using their platform. I use RealTick for the charts.

#27     Oct 4, 2001
  8. GaretJax

GaretJax

Gerry,

I agree - it is very different - but defintely nice to not worry about execution or routing as you said. I almost always got my stop price when I was stopped out. The moves are very fast - I had to set up hotkeys with IB so I could have my sell ready as quick as possible - it can move 5 points so quickly. I got burnt a bit today - I tried using stops 5 points below the bid so when it was trending up I could ride the trend longer and I was getting killed. Maybe that worked for a day like yesterday but I think I need to stick to stops 2 - 3 points below the ask. My wins were mainly 2-4 points while I was getting stopped for 5. When I switched to tighter stops of 2 points below ask I did much better.

It really does help to review your trades after the close - My major losses were getting stopped for 5 points a stop during a downtrend trying to catch the bottom. I ended up down about $300 for the day. If I would have avoided those 5 point losses it would have been an up day for me.

GaretJax

#28     Oct 4, 2001
  9. Atlantic

Atlantic

GaretJax,

i think 5 points are too much for a stoploss. maybe you should try 5 ticks instead.

and yes - hotkeys are great.

#29     Oct 5, 2001
  10. tntneo

tntneo Moderator

I guess you mean 5 points stop loss is too much for a 2-3 points reward. Because, of course a certain stop loss is irrelevant unless compared to a reward.
    I just wanted to point it out for newer traders (since the thread is also for them).

neo

#30     Oct 5, 2001