new DELL monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ITR2744, Feb 14, 2008.

1. ITR2744

ITR2744

ok, what are the name of the panels one class above TN? Or what are the panel specs I have to look at when I need a brilliant monitor?

#11     Feb 14, 2008
  2. IPS, PVA, etc....

#12     Feb 14, 2008
  3. gnome

gnome

Makers usually don't disclose "type of panel" (sometimes you can find out with some digging, sometimes not), but you can get an idea by the Viewing Angle Spec... 160 and less is definitely TN. 176-178 is definitely VA or IPS.

#13     Feb 14, 2008
  4. Your choices are - pay $300 for an inferior TN panel or pay $500++ for an IPS or PVA panel.

The difference is not only viewing angle, IMO. Color reproduction is way better, there's no 'dithering' and a lot less backlight bleed.

Re: viewing angle, in the TN panels I have seen, I can see the difference in color between identical page elements while just sitting directly in front of the unit. For example, the green bars at the top and bottom of this page looked way different on the Dell TN panel I saw.

Good thing about Dell is that you can send a TN panel back if you don't like it.

These sites give the panel types for some monitors

http://axofiber.no-ip.org/inside/monitor.lcd.panels.htm

http://www.flatpanels.dk/panels.php

#14     Feb 14, 2008
  5. i agree with the 'what's a couple hundred bucks more" sentiment, but value for the money is not an unreasonable consideration, on any level. Who doesn't have a couple hundred to squander but....

#15     Feb 14, 2008
  6. ITR2744

ITR2744

@ all: thanks for infomation and the links!

a clear and sharp view is really important for me and my eyes when I work the whole day in front of the monitor.

#16     Feb 14, 2008
  7. gnome

gnome

TN or better panel?

I've had about 20 LCD monitors. I recently cleared out all my old and replaced with new... all of the new ones have S-IPS panels.

#17     Feb 14, 2008

8. Excellent post. Just one minor quibble though....

Backlight bleeding has nothing to do with the type of panel utilized.

#18     Feb 14, 2008
  9. KiwiRoo

KiwiRoo

Then just go for the Ultra sharp panel and get a decent graphic card. The text font will be crisper and clearer than the normal version (not by much but if this is what you value most then go for it).

As someone has mentioned earlier, if you don't like it just return it back. - Also check out SONY monitors, but you'll be looking to pay much more than the DELL.

#19     Feb 14, 2008
  10. gnome

gnome

Hasn't Sony all but exited the monitor business?

#20     Feb 14, 2008