New Computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hoodooman, Oct 29, 2006.

1. duard

duard

Seems to me that the release of Vista will be great for budget minded consumers as the existing XP core duo machines will be greatly reduced in price as quad core vista machines are pushed on the consumer.

I'm looking to upgrade at that point as XP is gonna be supported for almost 10 additional years?

#31     Nov 2, 2006
  2. gnome

gnome

XP Pro will be supported until at least 2014.

#32     Nov 2, 2006
  3. if you want a retail solution, dell allows you to configure pc's for dual output from the normal menu.

#33     Nov 2, 2006
  4. #34     Nov 2, 2006
  5. duard

duard

Thanks

#35     Nov 2, 2006
  6. I agree with this sentiment. Based on what I've seen up to now, Vista is generally unnecessary as a pre-requisite for future upgrades for traders. People believing that are often guilty of falling into the marketing trap.

What is more important is the ability of application to take advantage of dual core processors and motherboards, ie. multithreaded development. A time will come when vista makes sense but that's some way off. At least until trading applications are fully capable of capitalizing on what vista offers. I'll be surprised if I move to Vista before 2009/2010.

Bottom line is? Will vista dramatically improve your trading or research capability? I don't think so. But if you want a shiny new toy, then go for it.

Thx
    D

p.s. If an optimal operating enviroment is so important that it drives your thinking when upgrading then forget Vista and go for Linux.

#37     Nov 4, 2006
  7. gnome

gnome

Maybe not....

"... To be fair, I did see some comments from people stating pretty much what I feel and that’s: if Linux could run my games, configure my wireless, and was as easy to setup as Windows hell I’d switch to. But Linux can’t do that just yet. Sure, it’s getting better and better but for the most part it’s just an OS that still requires a Masters Degree to fix if you screw it up. Sure, safe, does the basics pretty well but still, it’s not Windows by a long shot. The Linux folks don’t seem to grasp the fact that people want easy (GUI) not a command line..." --Digital Dave Draculous, Nov 2, 2006

#38     Nov 4, 2006
  8. #39     Nov 4, 2006