New Computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hoodooman, Oct 29, 2006.

1. gnome

gnome

Vista has previously been reviewed and claims it consumes nearly 1GB all by itself.

So, besides spending $300-$400 on the new OS, we also need a much stronger video card + 2GB of RAM.... $$$$$

#21     Oct 30, 2006
  2. taodr

taodr

NUTS !!! microcrap !!!

#22     Oct 30, 2006
  3. Does anyone know which version of Acronis supports SATA.
    I have version 7 and a dealer told me i need version 10 because earlier versions don't support SATA.
    Is this a trick to sell software?

#23     Oct 30, 2006
  4. gnome

gnome

I checked Newegg reviews... some mentioned that v9 supported SATA. V9 is still available on Newegg for $29.99.

#24     Oct 30, 2006
  5. Thanks Gnome,

what a luxury to have experts on the forum!

#25     Oct 30, 2006
  6. gnome

gnome

Newegg sells Acronis for $29.99, currently v9. You already own v7, so you can upgrade to v10, for the same price at Acronis' site.

#26     Oct 30, 2006
  7. hey guys...

i just upgraded to an ibm 64 bit machine and am still putting the finishing touches on it...

i will be selling my prior ibm workstation if you care...

ibm 6211 / dual 3.06 xeon with 512k level 2 cache / 3 gb of ram / 2 x 36.4 gb scsi u320 hdd / ati 9600 pro video with 128mb of video memory dvi and vga out / cd-rw & cd-rw dvd-rom drives / ibm on site 9 to 5 next day warrany 07/07/07...

any interest let me know as i will be putting it on ebay shortly...

#27     Oct 30, 2006
  8. taodr

taodr

Spike, your new computer is it loaded with operating system ? What you could do, and bear in mind I am not computer expert, is buy a good harddrive. Say a seagate with low noise and fast. Install in your old computer as 2nd drive, then use microcraps Synctoy to make a good copy all your software to it. Damn thing works. Then stick harddrive in new computer and use as second drive.

#28     Oct 30, 2006
  9. That's a problem because my old PC has ATA drives and my new one has SATA drives.

I have decide not to be too stingy. I will install Windows XP and Ghost on the new system and install everything from scratch. I just made the reflection that the cost of this decision is only a small part of my average daily profit in trading. And as the good functioning of my PC is vital to this trading i cannot take the risc to have a system that doesn't work well.

Thanks anyway for all the advice.

#29     Oct 30, 2006
  10. gnome

gnome

Vantec has a new USB-to-ATA connector kit where you can clone, copy, whatever... your SATA. It works with 3.5" IDE, 2.5" IDE, and SATA. Reviews say it works great.

There are probably other solutions, but this one pops out the top of my head just now.

#30     Oct 30, 2006