New Computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hoodooman, Oct 29, 2006.

1. ahhh....poppycock :)

I still have my old Windows 98 machine hooked up as a network print server...

Just buy one of those 8 port switches on sale now at CompUsa and keep plugging puters' into it...

Michael B.

P.S. Buy your computers used at least one generation behind for 10-25 cents on the dolla'...more puters is better, than the latest and greatest :)

P.P.S. spend your money on screen real estate...you can't go wrong with real estate ...

#11     Oct 29, 2006
  2. gnome

gnome

I would guess you still have 6-12 months. Then, of course, you could always buy OEM on eBay. No hurry at this time...

#12     Oct 29, 2006
  3. good reasoning

#13     Oct 29, 2006
  4. Thanks for all the excellent advice but you know, no one ever answered my very simple question. I guess that the answer is no and no.

#14     Oct 29, 2006
  5. romik

romik

Your answer is on page 1 right after your post. Just buy a computer with dual output card and connect to 2 monitors, just check that your monitors have the right inputs to cater for DVI (if there is one). It's easily done. I think you'll have both programs open on primary monitor, but you can certainly drag QT to any of the screens and your mouse will travel from one screen to the other.

#15     Oct 29, 2006
    Buy1Sell2 likes this.
  6. I assume you mean swap the HD's ad run the image on those HD's. If so, you'll hit trouble because the chipset of your new mobo will be different to the old. Problems I'm aware of can range from OS failing to boot/run to some devices not being recognized properly. In short it is a fundamentaly unstable path to take...

People often think this can work because in the past chipsets didn't change too much. Recently, they've been changing alot which means that a hardware upgrade forces a reinstall.

I'd recommend that you look into getting some good backup software (like Ghost). Backup your system image and then restore it to the new build. That will preserve all of your app. settings and linkages with the OS.

Finally, I wouldn't expect win2K to object to your new CPU though I may be wrong there. I'd expect the mobo manufacturer to provide drivers etc. for win2k compatibility.

Thx
    Dave

#17     Oct 29, 2006
  7. mokwit

mokwit

My guess (and just that) would be that you could do an upgrade or repair type installation so that the OS would install with the drivers for the new hardware it found and your programs would be recognised and registered with no need for a reinstall.

It may not be that simple so bya all means correct me if I am wrong.

#18     Oct 29, 2006
  8. Tums

Tums

did you upgrade your Win95 machine to Win2k OS?

if not, why would you think anybody would (or should) pay big bucks to upgrade a 32bit OS to 64bit OS on the same machine? Does it make sense?

#19     Oct 29, 2006
  9. taodr

taodr

#20     Oct 30, 2006