New Computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hoodooman, Oct 29, 2006.

1. I would like to purchase a new computer for trading that has a dual monitor system , whereby I can have quotetracker on one monitor and IB on the other and be able to move from one monitor to the other by simply moving my mouse.

Would it be possible for me to walk into a store like Best Buy and purchase this setup or would I have to order it from the manufacturer.

2. Tums

Tums

you have 2 choices:

1. get a computer with 2 video output.
    there are 2 types:
    - some video cards have 2 VGA outputs
    - some video cards have a VGA output as well as a DVI output. All monitors have VGA input, just make sure you get one monitor that also has a DVI input.

2. get a computer with 1 video output, then add a second video card yourself.
    you can get a used card from eBay. You don't need a fancy card. They are quite inexpensive.

Just check previous thread for install and set up. There lots of information here.

3. Most laptops will allow you to hook up a second monitor without adding anything if you want to go that route. If not dual monitor vga cards are pretty cheap now.

4. gnome

gnome

Do yourself a favor and make it a point to get a computer WITHOUT onboard video. You may end up wanting to add an additional monitor or two, and sometimes the BIOS doesn't cooperate.

Any machine you buy new today without onboard video will probably have a PCIE x16 card slot. Depending on the monitors you plan to run, you can pick up inexpensive Nvidia Quadro NVS 280/285 cards on eBay. High quality 2D display, perfect for trading apps.

5. Vista is coming out next year, heard current PC's will not be running well on that platform thus you shouldn't buy a new PC now .

What do you guys think ?

6. gnome

gnome

If you get a new machine for trading, I say get one with Windows XP Pro. It will have support until at least 2014. THEN screw with Vista... it will be buggy and glitchy at least until SP1. You don't need that aggravation.

7. I bought a Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 computer.

I would like to put the HD's that i have in my old PC in the new one so that i do not have to reinstall all the software. Is this possible? I would also use the Matrox G550 graphics card that i have in my old PC.

I run now a P4 2.4Ghz with Windows 2000.

I think i might get i trouble because Windows 2000 will not recognize the new processor.

Starting from scratch would be a problem because i have software installed that cannot be installed again without taking a new licence, and there are a lot of specific settings in my actual system that i will have to setup again., without forgetting one of them.

8. gnome

gnome

Search the web on this topic. I've read it sometimes can be done. But if Win2K won't work with your new CPU, you might just have to keep your old stuff on the present machine and let it go at that. Also, suggest you make a clone or two of your present HD so you have backups. HD failure is an eventuality, you know. Acronis True Image and Casper XP 3.0 are both very good at cloning.

9. I agree, intuitively that 's what I would do. When is XP Pro going to be phased out? i.e no longer available in stores ? I will hav eto buy a new machine by then

10. Thanks Gnome,

i do have acronis and have several images on others hd's so that is not a problem.
    What i will do is put the HD and the Matrox in the new system and see what happens. If it doesn't work i can still put everything back as i have a second HD with several disc images starting from an image with a clean W2000 installed till the image from just before going to the new sysetm.

#10     Oct 29, 2006