new computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by opt789, Apr 25, 2008.

1. opt789

opt789

I don’t disagree with you one bit if you are just trading, email, surfing, etc. If you are doing things like trying to edit HD video and burn it to Blu-ray, as well as get the most out of the best games then you will need more.

#21     Apr 25, 2008
  2. bespoke

bespoke

damn, those specs are incredibly sexy

now you can play Crysis on max settings. i on the other hand, can only play on med settings at 1680x1050 resolution :(

#22     Apr 25, 2008
  3. Gnome's cool, he's just opinionated. Anyone who likes beer can't be all bad.:cool:

IMO putting the O.S. on it's own drive is the shit. In the specs on Alienware's site they say that R.A.I.D. 1 is an option, but you're correct that when you go to customize it 0 is the only choice. I wonder if you would have to call that request in. Also, I didn't check the specs on your mobo; is the controller onboard or a separate card? I'm guessing on board. I have a 3Ware card controller and believe me, that makes all the difference in the world. All of this can be tweaked in the future if you're not mildly impressed with the performance. Add a controller, switch to 1, and add an O.S. drive later if you want. It'd be interesting to see the quality on the build. Keep us posted. Thanks.

#23     Apr 25, 2008
  4. gnome

gnome

After your comment, I gave some thought as to what I'm "opinionated" about.

Other than (1) Microsoft's POOR job of trying to ram Vista down our throats, (2) the greed and evil of the US Gummint and the rest of the Powers, I'm the easiest guy there is to get along with.

Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

:)

#24     Apr 25, 2008
  5. Tums

Tums

on an anonymous forum, everybody is allowed to be somebody.

#25     Apr 25, 2008
  6. opt789

opt789

Time for an update.
    30" monitors are great, but get a fan for your office because they get hot.
    I received my Alienware computer and immediately noted a dent in the shipping box. After opening the computer I saw that the side case fan had been knocked loose. I spent some time on the phone with tech support and we determined that the system was not working up to par, most likely due to shipping damage, so they shipped it back.

While fixing mine the tech in charge of the replacement process (US based, English speaking, easy to get in touch with) told me that they just came out with a new version so I have decided to upgrade. They are giving me a credit for my trouble so it is not costing much. Unfortunately this means I have to wait awhile for the new one to be built.

Old:
    Power Supply: Alienware® 1000 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply
    Graphics Processor: Dual 1GB ATI® Radeon™ HD 3870 X2 – Quad GPU Technology
    Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Extreme QX9650 3.0GHz 12MB Cache 1333MHz FSB - Overclocked to 4.0 GHz
    Memory: 4GB Patriot EP+ Low Latency Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz-2x2048MB
    Motherboard: Alienware® Approved X38 Motherboard Includes onboard Wireless-N, PCI-Express 2.0, and DDR3 memory

Upgrade:
    Power Supply: Alienware® 1200 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply
    Graphics Processor: Dual 1GB NVIDIA® GeForce® 9800 GX2 – Quad GPU Technology
    Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Extreme QX9770 3.2GHz - Overclocked to 4.0GHz 12MB Cache 1600MHz FSB
    Memory: 4GB Corsair Dominator Overclocked Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 4 x 1024MB
    Motherboard: Alienware® Approved NVIDIA® nForce® 790i Ultra SLI™ Motherboard
    Includes PCI-Express 2.0, DDR3 Memory, and Support for Intel 1600 FSB

I will probably also upgrade to the new Velocirators with raid 1.

I have seen a number of comments, both ways, about building a computer yourself. I tried to compare apples to apples and checked Tigerdirect and I would save about 10% by building it. Since I have never done that and it would take me a considerable amount of time, it is not even close to worth it to me for just 10% savings.

I also priced out this machine with many other custom builders and they charge as much if not more and they don't offer 24/7 support. So if Alienware overcharges, then so does everyone else. You can say that you don't think it is worth it to get a high end computer, but you can't say you are much better off building it yourself.

#26     May 24, 2008
  7. That's a nice nuclear reactor you're getting there (giggle). All you're missing is a good joystick (get your minds out of the gutter!) and soundcard. Break out an old copy of Doom II & III for old times. :)

#27     May 24, 2008
  8. opt789

opt789

It is no fun looking at the box of Crysis (the game that makes any normal computer cry) sitting on my desk unused while I wait for the new computer.

#28     May 27, 2008
  9. OK. That processor blows away my only semi fast 8100.

<<< Processor envy >>>

#29     May 27, 2008
  10. I think I might have to grab a copy of that one myself. :)

#30     May 27, 2008