new computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by opt789, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Oh well, big deal.

I just got one of these:

[​IMG]

#11     Apr 25, 2008
  2. opt789

opt789

It is two of the new ATI 1GB cards, so a total of 2GB of video.
    The specs for the hard drive are an exact quote from them, you can see them on their website. The price I noted in terms of ES was for everything including the monitors, extra warranty, battery backup, etc.

#12     Apr 25, 2008
  3. gnome

gnome

Why skimp on the video cards? Nvidia has a new FX model with 1.5G/card... only $6,995.00

#13     Apr 25, 2008
  4. opt789

opt789

I know, I know. Its already overboard, but if my wife can spend 5k on washer/dryer and fridge (apparently they all need LCD screens now) then I figure after decades of buying middle of the road equipment to save money I think overspending once wont kill me.

#14     Apr 25, 2008
  5. gnome

gnome

Oh, I didn't mean a "new computer with one of those cards is $6,995"...

The video card ALONE is $6,995!

#15     Apr 25, 2008

6. Ya, I went to their site and I see what you're sayin'.

I don't know man. It looks like this. No big deal. I'm sure you'll like it.

In the mean time I got this hooked up:

[​IMG]

#16     Apr 25, 2008
  7. opt789

opt789

I was under the impression they are Raptors so I called and doubled checked, and they are Raptors.

Nice equipment you have there, a family member is a professional guitar player in California and he says the only thing that makes him feel better about his house going down in price so much is that his collection of classic guitars has gone up.

#17     Apr 25, 2008
  8. I'll be nice and leave that comment alone.:D

Thanks tho...

Raptors are nice. Curious why you went the 0 route on R.A.I.D. tho, I have four of those set up in 0 and I like it, but most won't agree. Have you thought of putting your O.S. on a third 36GB raptor outside the array?

#18     Apr 25, 2008
  9. my home built p4 just died the other day. I was going to build another top of the line parts wise machine with quad core but instead just went to circut city and picked up a bottom of the line acer duo core for $329.
    Even this is overkill and more power than what I need.
    If your looking for a new machine just get the cheapest there is, this blows away my top of the line machine from 2004.

#19     Apr 25, 2008
  10. opt789

opt789

Never had Raid0 before and that is how they send them so I wanted to try it and see if the "extreme performance" is true. I have an external Maxtor that I backup everything on, so Raid1 isn't a priority.

Gnome will probably throw something at me, but this computer only comes with Vista so my first priority will be turning off everything I can to make it reasonable. Then I will be looking into whether it is worth it to have the OS on something else once I have a chance to test everything out. The new solid state drives look interesting but they are too new and overpriced at this point. My current XP computer will be my backup.

#20     Apr 25, 2008