new computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by opt789, Apr 25, 2008.

1. opt789

opt789

I figure I am doing my part to help the US economy, and I don't even get a rebate check. I ordered a new Alienware machine, so for anyone thinking of buying from them I will let you know how my experience goes. They say it will take several weeks to get because only one guy builds and tests the ALX level. I have bought from Dell several times but not from Alienware. So far I can say the customer service is better and the tech support is a lot better (I called their tech support a few times with questions before I ordered the machine).

I am aware this is much more computer than most anyone would need but I will be using it for many different things in addition to trading. I am also aware Alienware charges a lot but I am not equipped to build one myself, I want good tech support, and I couldn't find anyone else that offered this level of system.

I also purchased two of the new 30" NEC monitors, LCD3090WQXi-BK. I could not find another 30" that did not have known issues so I decided to take a chance on these. So far I can say they work quite well, they are large (as in thick and have a large footprint) and give off a lot of heat but that is common with all 30" monitors. The 2560x1600 resolution is very nice.

Here are some of the specs of the machine:
    Alienware® P2 ALX Chassis with AlienIce™ 3.0 Video Cooling
    System Cooling: Alienware® ALX High-Performance Liquid Cooling
    Acoustic Dampening: Alienware® Acoustic Dampening
    Graphics Processor: Dual 1GB ATI® Radeon™ HD 3870 X2 – Quad GPU Technology
    Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Extreme QX9650 3.0GHz 12MB Cache 1333MHz FSB - Overclocked to 4.0 GHz
    Memory: 4GB Patriot EP+ Low Latency Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz-2x2048MB
    Motherboard: Alienware® Approved X38 Motherboard
    Includes onboard Wireless-N, PCI-Express 2.0, and DDR3 memory
    System Drive: Extreme Performance (RAID 0) - 320GB (2 x 160GB) SATA 1.5Gb/s 10,000RPM 2 x 16MB Cache
    Optical Drives : Dual Drive Configuration - Drive 1: 20X Dual Layer Burner (DVD±RW) w/ LightScribe
    Drive 2: 4x Dual Layer Blu-ray Burner (BD-RE, DVD±RW, CD-RW)
    Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ XtremeGamer High Definition 7.1 Audio
    Network Connection: Dual High Performance Gigabit Ethernet Ports
    Network Connection: High-Performance Integrated Wireless 802.11n/g/b + Access Point
    Power Supply: Alienware® 1000 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply

If you trade 15 ES it is a mere 17.3 points to pay for it.

No one here may be interested in this level of computer or monitor, but I would be happy to answer any questions if there are any.
    :)

2. gnome

gnome

Didn't see mention of the "launching pad"... how much is that?

3. nkhoi

nkhoi

Round Rock, Texas, March 22, 2006

Dell announced today it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Alienware to further satisfy the growing number of consumers and businesses seeking the highest-performance PC products, including those used for gaming and multimedia digital content management. Terms of the planned purchase will not be disclosed.

4. opt789

opt789

That was my first question when I called them - is dealing with them the same as dealing with Dell. They assured me, and I can confirm it so far, that they are run as a separate and independent entity from Dell.

5. opt789

opt789

But the Alienware mesh cap, mousepad, and binder are "free". Doesn't that make it worth it?:p

6. gnome

gnome

Even without the extra goodies, you'll be the envy of every wannabe trader who's wishing he could just scalp a couple of ticks so he could afford to upgrade his RAM...

7. Is it 2 1GB cards or 2 cards giving you 1GB of video memory?

How much? I didn't do much looking, but the m/b is $270, the proc is $1,030, and if it is 2 1GB cards they're $500 a piece or so.

Also, 160GB HDDs? @ 10k? Which ones? Because of the speed (1.5GB/s) it looks like they're raptors, but the ones I know about are 150GB. No big deal, just if you're spending that kind of money it'd be nice to get the specs correct. Probably a typo or else I've not heard of them.

8. jho

jho

I think you just saved the US economy from a massive recession with the purchase of that beast.

You are a super-nerd, a huge huge nerd haha, awesome system man, it should last you a long time :D

9. gnome

gnome

Maybe not... could get away from him and go crashing into the wall on the first lap.

10. jho

jho

Hahahaha no kidding. What a beast.

#10     Apr 25, 2008