New Computer, Vista, 64 bit, video cards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by davez, Jul 3, 2009.

1. ?? Never saw nor heard of "open ended x1 slot". Doesn't seem to make sense, either, as part of the x16 pathway would have no connection. (Whereas when inserting a lesser card into a larger slot, all of the card's connections have a slot connection.... and some slot connections which would not be currently used.)

#11     Jul 5, 2009
  2. If you get a T3400, it will come with an NVS 290 as the "base" choice... and it will work with your 285s.

When buying for > 2 monitors, the thought process should be...

1. How many monitors?
    2. VGA or DVI?
    3. What display resolution?
    4. What video cards will run the above (and are compatible with each other, if applicable)?
    5. What mobo will run those cards?
    6. What computer has appropriate mobo?

#12     Jul 5, 2009
  3. Personally, I had issues with ATI cards. I've always built my own computers.

Currently I'm running with a motherboard that has built in video ( 2 ports) and I have a second NVIDIA card for another 2 monitors. Works like a dream for me.

S

#13     Jul 5, 2009
  4. What mobo has onboard video with 2 ports?

#14     Jul 5, 2009
  5. #15     Jul 5, 2009
  6. davez

davez

: ... a few hundred more than what?" A good question. I built the T3400, and after a cut and paste job to add it with the others, attached is the comparison of the four Dell computers I'm considering, from cheapest to most expensive:

1. Studio XPS: (3rd column)
    Pros: Cheapest, tied for most computing power (CPU and memory), not monsterous physical size.
    Cons: smallest power supply, no PCI slot, ATI card

2. Studio XPS 435 (1st column and my current first choice)
    Pros: 475 Watts (should be ok), tied for most computing power, lots of exp'n slots, essentially same cost as first one
    Cons: Huge size, ATI card, access to ports on top of case could be restricted in my desk setup

3. XPS 630 (2nd column)
    Pros: largest power supply, 2 PCIe-x16 slots, nVidia card
    Cons: Huge size, big step up in cost from first two but with less computing power

4. T3400 (4th column)
    Pros: 2 PCIe-x19 slots , nVidia card, smaller physical size, faster hard drive I think? Vista Business? XP downgrade, 3 yrs service
    Cons: most expensive, lowest computing power, smaller power supply

Maybe? Vista (vs XP) is a con, but with Win7 imminent I'm considering it a pro.

My biggest uncertainty has been if Vista and/or 64 bit would mean I'd need all new high tech (high cost) graphics cards, but the great replies so far suggest not.

Once I know for sure what I want, I'll check the Dell outlet.
    Re replacing CPU's, I've watched it done but it is beyond my computer skills.

Anyone see any reason the XPS 435 is not the best choice?
    Thanks
    davez

#16     Jul 5, 2009
  7. Out of those, I would probably go with the 435 as well. I have no experience with Vista (nor do I want any). ATI HD - I have no idea about this one. Before I started trading a few years back, I used ATI and it was fine for what I needed. My needs are just different now.

NewEgg is my site of choice and where I always go.

#17     Jul 5, 2009
  8. Here's what I would do...

1. Purchase the cheapest T3400 from Dell outlet... currently $469.

2. Buy a Q9550 from some place like Newegg.. currently $219.

3. Have Best Buy or other install for you... $50?

4. Sell on eBay your e7300 you took out of the computer... $50?.

Now you've got a fast Quad core and in it only $718.

Suggest you NOT buy upgrades from Dell. They are almost always well overpriced.

As for OS... looks like you get Vista, XP, AND free W7 upgrade for purchase made at this time.

#18     Jul 5, 2009
  9. 3121

that's too much freaking around

just start from scratch.. build your own.

http://www.anandtech.com/guides/showdoc.aspx?i=3563

#19     Jul 5, 2009
  10. What, are you NUTS? BIY is MUCH more "freaking around". Besides that, he wouldn't save any more than $100... maybe not even that.

#20     Jul 5, 2009