New Computer - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by illinimatt81, Apr 23, 2009.

1. DanishFK

DanishFK

The Raptors are very nice if you're consistently writing on the hard drive.

However, in my opinion the SSDs are more practical even though they are soo expensive at the moment. The technology also needs lots of improvements.

I would rather get a 2.0Core 2 Duo with SSD than a 2.4 Core 2 Duo with a 7200RPM HD.

For illinimatt81 I think the 7200RPM will suffice.

RiceRocket: Do you have the Digital Raptors ?

#11     Apr 27, 2009
  2. bespoke

bespoke

I just picked up an i7 this weekend with the P6T deluxe to replace a Q6600. What a great chip! I overclocked it last night to 3.3ghz on stock cooling with no change in CPU voltage and the temp is running at 39, and about 60 under 100% load. And today one of my ATSes that is the most computer intensive strategy I have is having its best day in 2 months. Coincidence? haha... probably... but you never know.

#12     Apr 30, 2009
  3. I built the new system last night and just got the OS installed. I'll post full specs and pictures in the "pictures of your trading stations" thread soon.

I went with 7200 RPM drives. I like my comp silent and quiet it is. Most of my time took putting on the aftermarket coolers on the CPU and Video Card replacing the stock fans because I have always had those go out and make tons of noise. I will keep the 10,000 RPM drives in mind for the future but in 2-3 years when I do a mid-life overhaul on this system (adding ram, replacing hard drives) I venture to guess we are all solid state by then.

For now I have the two 640 GB drives with one partiioned at 200 for the OS/programs with 440 left over and the other drive just unpartioned raw space for my data.

The biggest change is going from one 19" 4x3 monitor to two 23" WS monitors. They are alot bigger than I expected. I could use a new desk!

Appreciate the feedback!

#13     Apr 30, 2009
  4. DanishFK

DanishFK

Congrats on the new system, Looking forward for the pics!

#14     Apr 30, 2009
  5. chisel

chisel

To the OP: I have that CoolerMaster case/Xigmatek combo. In case anyone is wondering, the Xigmatek WILL fit in the case, but you'll need to omit the fan on the door directly over it. I installed a fan controller for 6 fans and have plenty of air movement. See here for the Coolermaster 690 club with lots of pics: http://www.overclock.net/computer-cases/294838-official-cooler-master-690-club.html

#15     Apr 30, 2009
  6. bespoke

bespoke

should have gone with 24 SSDs in RAID instead of the 7200 rpms

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mKcSxd_ynsM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mKcSxd_ynsM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

#16     Apr 30, 2009
  7. If an ETer had that rig, he could be SUPER paper-trader!!

#17     Apr 30, 2009
  8. looks like some great choices for the money here. how do you get dual video cards so cheap?

build a sys like this for less than 1/2 price of a T3400, never notice any small diff in performance for trading and throw it away in 2yrs. Do it again

now that's what i'm talking about :cool:

#18     May 1, 2009
  9. #19     May 1, 2009
  10. congoboy

congoboy

it's not going to change your performance though

#20     May 26, 2009