New Computer- please HELP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bjb1963, Sep 8, 2005.

1. bjb1963

bjb1963

Hey guys. Got too lazy searching all the other threads.

I am a computer moron. Turn it on and go kinda guy. Moving from the office to remote and was wondering if some of you computer geniuses can help me out.

Want to cap the spending at around 1500 or less if I can get away with it.

Can anyone link me to a web page or just reply with what I want to get for that $$. All the stuff that I don't understand is welcome... I will just write it down and go get it.

Thanks in advance.

2. Choad

Choad

3. bjb1963

bjb1963

So any of the 9100's? Cool. Now what do I need to do to run 2-4 flat panel monitors? Can I add it through Dell?

Or do I go to Best Buy or something?

Sorry...Like I said, really don't know anything about computers.

Thanks.

4. gnome

gnome

Lots of us use Dell 1905, 19" LCDs. You could get 2 of those + your 9100 and be within your budget. Just confirm that the video card in your system supports dual monitors.

5. mike2

mike2

If you want a super portable computer for trading, the best one is a fujitsu lifebook P series. Its the best I have used.

6. bjb1963

bjb1963

Thanks guys.

Gnome, I swear I tried to figure this out before I asked. But alas, I am a dumbass.

The options for video cards they give me are:

128MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon™ X300 SE

256MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon X600 SE HyperMemory [add $40 or $1/month1]

256MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) nVidia GeForce 6800 [add $220 or $6/month1] Enhanced Graphics

256MB Nvidia GeForce 7800 GTX [add $630 or $19/month1]

do they all support dual monitors? Both DVI? Or do I have to buy a Matrox card and install it myself. Thanks so much.

7. gnome

gnome

The Radeon cards have one DVI, one VGA port. If you are going to want high power gaming performance on this rig also, you'll have to check into performance video cards.... otherwise, the RAdeon 128MB will be fine for trading and support 2 monitors. If you get Dell 1905 LCDs, they come with both DVI and VGA cables/ports... you could run one of each and probably not notice any difference in display quality.

8. You don't provide any info on how many monitors, what will run on it, etc. Generally, a Dell Dimension 4700 with 2 monitors will do the job. The monitors can be run one off the onboard port and a second by adding just a standard PCI card for about $10. Get at least 512MB of RAM and at least 40GB. Be sure to throw in a UPS power backup, a high quality wired mouse (unless you don't mind taking the risk of wireless... I suggest the trusty old Logitech MX510).

This whole rig shouldn't cost you more than $900 or so. Don't bother going for high end video cards (unless you want to play games on it - in which case none of this applies). You won't need a low response time monitor nor do you need DVI connections.

This is a practical and stable setup that will last you about 3 years (you will probably upgrade the RAM before 3 yrs are up). If you want bells and whistles, then ask.

Best wishes.