new computer help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by soler, Mar 29, 2009.

1. I use 2 Compaq Presario SR5610F Desktop PCs for my trading.

I don't do any of the strategy back-testing stuff. Just front-end showing TradeStation charts in real time. Each PC drives 6 monitors, and typically has about 10 to 20 charts, some of which are tick charts.

Both bought at Fry's Electronics for about $400 each (October 2008).

I know they are far from top-of-the-line machines. But for most of my trading purposes (front-end charting, multi-monitors), they are adequate.

Spec:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...0047&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

In the Pasadena trading expo, the vendor from XView was trying to sell me their $8000 trading machines. Right!

http://www.xview.com/pages/products/hyper.php

#51     Jun 18, 2009
  2. Eight

Eight

I got a very high end Intel mobo last year very cheap on ebay, stuck a dual core on it and some ram, installed Vista and I'm up and running all day every day.. I used it all to rebuild a computer I had from BestBuy, probably have about $300 invested including Nvidia dual monitor card... it does pay to do it yourself..

#52     Jun 18, 2009
  3. DannoXYZ

DannoXYZ

Soler, if you want a super-fast computer, regardless if you get a pre-configured one or build a DIY one, the most often ignored component that has a HUGE impact on performance is the hard-drive. If you're going to be shelling out that kind of $$$, then spend an extra $200-300 and get 15k-rpm SAS drives. They make a HUGE difference, much, much more than CPU since those are so fast nowadays that it's waiting for the HD most of the time.

And don't buy a laptop if you want a super-fast computer for trading.

#53     Jun 19, 2009

4. I have done it on P4 with 2gigs of Ram and know of one trader who uses celeron to trade futures. Perhaps with stocks it is different, but as far as ES goes P4 is more then adequate. Same goes for 6 monitor set ups. One 24 or 28 incher is enough 2 being optimal - 6 - total overkill.

I can only presume that after a while one does feel the urge to make the rig more "glossy" and "faster" but I doubt that Ferrari of a desktop will make a difference.

#54     Jun 19, 2009
  5. paulxx

paulxx

Though I have a Quad Core, I agree with Mr. J unless your software is an unusual resource hog and/or you do massively intense, complex back testing.

Also you don't really need maximum gaming power graphics cards, charting is nothing like as demanding as 3D gaming.

When you go for large monitors, you need to know whether it is for high density/tiny detail, like the Dell 2560x1600 30 inch - or is it for size, so you can sit on the other side of the room. In that case, a full HD 32" LCD TV or two at 1920x1080 (for a fraction of the price) may be all you need, in addition to a 22/24 inch regular monitor or two.

Just about any current graphics card can handle 1920x1080. And you may only need one because on some motherboards you can turn on the inbuilt graphics as well as a graphics card at the same time.

Regarding hard drive choice, a WD Caviar Black SATA is almost as fast as the 10krpm specials and all any trader will need. I even tried a solid state drive earlier this year and changed it for the WD. Although I could boot XP in 20 seconds, the SSD had very slow 'random write' speeds and required a lot of non-standard tweaking to get real world performance. Another year or so and they may well be viable and make an enormous difference.

#55     Jun 19, 2009
  6. Not sure NTI is not an Intel Premier Partner - but my old trading computers computer had a overclocked intel processor (which was sent back 3 times for repair) and a AMD motherboard. the tech support was nto great - they are 2 or 3 hrs behind east coast time, so they did not open until well after market started. The owner of NTI told me he was a trader - I will have to call him on that - who told you he was not a trader? Does trading computer do software developement for TradeStation? I will have to call my buddy Jim to check that one. seems a bit of a strech. my nti system is great. would not go anywhere else. 3 yr parts and labor - been in the business since 1995 (tc.com - 2006, when i bought my first system). Anyway - to each his own I guess...

#56     Jun 22, 2009
  7. jumper

jumper

Try a few months. And they don't return phone calls very well.

#57     Oct 24, 2009
  8. RobtF

RobtF

All these Dell desktop models: Precison, Inspirion, Vostro; How about an Optiplex? My needs are simple. I'm looking for RT charting and multitasking on one monitor. Why do members recommend a workstation vs a desktop? What to choose?
    How do an Optiplex and Vostro differ from the others anybody?
    Thanks.

#58     Oct 26, 2009
  9. What's in a name? "Workstation" implies "server-class parts", longer life, and higher reliability... whether it actually delivers that is another matter.

Both Vostro and Optiplex are also billed as "business" type machines. I think Dell does a disservice there. Both have el cheapo mobos. (If the CPU is the "brain", the mobo is the "nervous system". Decent mobos do not have "onboard video".)

If you want to run 1 or 2 monitors (2, from a dualhead video card), virtually any modern computer will do.

If you want to run 3 or more, then you have to take into consideration what the mobo is capable of and will allow. Sometimes, even a cheap mobo will allow 4 monitors, but you can't take that for granted.

The Dell Precision T3400 is a step up in class and capability above Vostro and Optiplex. T3400 has an X38 mobo with a proper array of peripheral slots and has no onboard video. And, the T3400 is the lowest price by far of any comparable machine. Also, Dell's service team for the Precision line... it's different from the el cheapo lines... and is excellent. English speaking support persons... who live in America.

#59     Oct 26, 2009
  10. gaj

gaj

i got one last year (T3400) off of recos, i believe gnome being the major supporter.

i just ordered another one to replace my backup machine.

#60     Oct 26, 2009