new computer help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by soler, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Keep in mind gnome, you have loads of experience that actually makes a much bigger difference in the ease of putting a setup together and making sure it works according to the traders desires and specifications than most of us.

And whether you admit it or not, my experience tells me that it does make a difference.
    Thanks for your help with the hardware info on the board.

Good trading

#41     Apr 1, 2009
  2. soler

soler

thx for all the help....

and now a quick question on laptops.

which is a better dell laptop. (I mean which would you buy)

1. vostro 1710
    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T8100 (2.1GHz, 3MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)
    Genuine Windows Vista® Business Downgrade,XP Professional SP3 Installed
    Microsoft® Office® Basic 2007
    17.0 inch Widescreen WXGA+ LCD Anti-Glare Display
    4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz, 2 DIMM
    320GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
    Intel® Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
    24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive Data Only
    Dell Wireless 1395 802.11g Wi-Fi Internal Card
    6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

2. Latitude E5500
    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo P9600 (2.66GHz, 6M L2 Cache, 1066MHz FSB)
    Genuine Windows Vista® Business Downgrade,XP Professional SP3 Install,
    Microsoft Office Basic
    15.4 inch Wide Screen WXGA Anti-glare LCD Panel
    4.0GB, DDR2-800 SDRAM, 2 DIMMS
    160GB Hard Drive, 5400RPM
    Mobile Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD
    24X CD-RW/DVD w/ Cyberlink PowerDVD™
    Dell Wireless™ 1510 802.11a/g/n draft Mini Card
    6 Cell Battery

the vostro is $100 cheaper
    in your opinion are these units similar or very different? will they be equally fast?

thx again for everyones help

#42     Apr 1, 2009
  3. Redneck

Redneck

AS Mandlebrost has stated Gnome - Thank You

#43     Apr 2, 2009
  4. gnome

gnome

Of all the Dell notebooks, the Vostro 2510 apparently has the best customer reviews..

#44     Apr 2, 2009
  5. do you want to carry a 17" laptop around or a 15"? it's basically boils down to that

#45     Apr 4, 2009
  6. I am not a "expert", but I looked at those guys, XView, Dell and Naples Technology. TC uses old processors (dual core) and speeds them up to make them faster, but voids the warranty.

XView was even more expensive and could not deliver for a few weeks.

Dell would not put it together for over 2 montiros and they do not support anything over 2 - so if you have a problem... SOL

NTI uses all intel parts, quad core and the new i7. I got their 6 monitor system, i7 and it is great. I only use 3 montiros now, but will be adding a few more monitors on my desk soon. XP with no extra charge (like dell) fast processor and memory. Pulled it out of the box, plugged it into my moniotrs and turned it on... They also shipped for free, no sales tax (unlike dell) and I got it within a week. The shipping and Tax did cut the price of the system down.

hope that helps

#46     May 24, 2009
  7. While that's possibly true on Dell's el-cheapo models, it is NOT true for others. Dells sells the Precision line with an option for "dual, dualhead cards"... supports 4 monitors.

As for "... being SOL on support for over 2 monitors..."

Dell supports "configuration as shipped.. ONLY". That's logical and correct. Dell support [nor anybody else's] should be obligated to support and troubleshoot systems which have been changed after shipping*... other than changed with Dell provided upgrades, that is.

*Lots of people hose-up their system by adding hardware or making other changes, you know. Dell should not be required to troubleshoot problems brought on by inexperienced computer users.

#47     May 24, 2009
  8. Mr J

Mr J

Doesn't take much of a machine to run a typical trading setup. All this talk about good dual and quad cores, gigs of ram etc, all very unnecessary. I'm about to get another trading-only machine to support 3-4 monitors, and I'd be surprised if I spend more than about $400. Four years ago I could run 3-4 monitors on that, and nothing has changed. If you just have the trading platform running with a couple dozen charts over multiple monitors, you do not need anything more than the minimum.

#48     Jun 5, 2009
  9. I have a trading computer from trading computers.com. All of their computers are overclocked but they also have a 3 year parts and labor warranty. They have been overclocking for years and are Intel Premier Partners, which NTI is not. They are also run by traders, are TradeStation developers, and have great tech support. Their Falcon Owners Club has some good trading methods posted by their members.

#49     Jun 18, 2009
  10. That's pretty amazing.

Please give use your source for the computer hardware/software, and the specs for the machine. :D

M

#50     Jun 18, 2009