new computer help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by soler, Mar 29, 2009.

1. LOL :D

gnome is making a very good point here folks.

If you don't know what you are doing when you're putting together your dream machine it could turn out to be a Frankenstein's Monster full of incompatabilities, freezing issues, booting issues and a whole conumdrum of other ailments and problems.

Please, just go to the professionals if you don't know jack shit about computers.

Being penny wise and pound foolish was never a good idea, especially when dealing with thousands. :cool:

#21     Mar 30, 2009
  2. i just got owned. i will crawl back into under my little rock.:(

yep i knew he wanted xp. i was thiking about writing buy a xp disk but i didn't.

i thought i did have a pci slot. there is a pce 1x slot which the 290 pce 1x version can use.

i really didn't pay attention to wut screen size and i did wonder wut screen size he was going to use when i picked those cards.

yep it is true those 290 and 440 don't run 30 inchers. but that 290 or 440 can run the 2 24 inch.

even the latest quadro nvs ones ive seen does not support those 30 inchers unless u have display port.

another reason why i like gamer cards. your best bet is to find a core i7 machine with 3pce x16 slots and get three cheap gamer cards.

on that trading computer site they say they use a combination of 290 and 440 and 9500gt for there video cards but they use dfferent drivers though. i did see a post somwhere that u can use teh workstaion drivers on gamer cards somehow.

i think we need to have like sticky thread with how to setup xxx amount monitors and how to build a trading rig.

#22     Mar 30, 2009
  3. gnome

gnome

Not to worry... I was just giving you crap! :D

Tradingcomputers is out of the question from price alone.

The real baseline is the Dell T3400 (HP has an equivalent workstation, but it costs more). That will handle almost everything and at the best price. It should be used as the comparo standard for all new trading rigs.

#23     Mar 30, 2009
  4. bespoke

bespoke

not including software i just put your entire computer together piece by piece in my head for 750 CDN. could probably even reduce that by buying mobo/cpu/ram combo kits. what a rip that thing is. you could max out a gaming rig with an i7 for 2000....

edit: here you go. 1229 CDN (about 1000 USD) for an i7 barebones kit
    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4483696&CatId=333

all you need to do is add 3 video cards which should cost < 200 all together and a cpu fan for $50. and that computer absolutely blows away your configuration

#24     Mar 30, 2009
  5. gnome

gnome

I caught a sale at Dell a couple of months back... T3400 (w/x38 mobo), Q9300 quad core, 4G RAM, Quadro FX570, 2 optic drives, 250G HDD, card reader, XP Pro, of course (not screwing with Vista)... $612, including tax and shipping. Dell sometimes has fantastic deals.

#25     Mar 30, 2009
  6. kean

kean

You can build your computer at mwav.com with the same components and have them test and de-bug for much cheaper. I did and it works great.

#26     Mar 30, 2009
  7. soler

soler

not including software i just put your entire computer together piece by piece in my head for 750 CDN. could probably even reduce that by buying mobo/cpu/ram combo kits. what a rip that thing is. you could max out a gaming rig with an i7 for 2000....

edit: here you go. 1229 CDN (about 1000 USD) for an i7 barebones kit
    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicati...83696&CatId=333

all you need to do is add 3 video cards which should cost < 200 all together and a cpu fan for $50. and that computer absolutely blows away your configuration

what kind of video cards would i buy?....btw, im using 6 x 22" monitors not 30"

thx

#27     Mar 30, 2009
  8. Jander

Jander

With all the free-market and tech savvy posts you make around here, you are a providing a great service... Good on ya sir

#28     Mar 30, 2009
  9. F22 is purpose built for trading. The Dell is not.

#29     Mar 30, 2009
  10. BarOpen

BarOpen

I too had to have a fast XP machine with six monitors.
    This is what I did...
    Print out all the spec's from trading computers dot com
    Take it to your local computer shop and tell them you can get it on line for 1600.00 but you would rather give them the business.
    (Would they like to bid on it?)
    You will then have someone local to deal with and saved a bunch of money. They come to my house when I need network stuff done etc. I have local tech support. I wish I had done this sooner.

PM me if you want a 6x monitor rack cheap. I have an extra

I spent all that money and wished I had a 64 bit I7 and 8 gigs ram. Finally broke down and got Vista with one 52" monitor
    maybe I will go with dual 52"s down the road... but that is my favorite machine now.

#30     Mar 30, 2009