New COMCAST 50MB Speed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Landis82, Jul 28, 2009.

1. #21     Aug 5, 2009
  2. zx12

zx12

Guys, don't get too excited about your ISP speeds. Remember it's a two way street! Not too many sites out there are sending out that kind of speed!! Why spend the extra money for a premium service, when you will never use it!! Shoot there are times that Yahoo's home page takes forever to load, due to the advertisers slow speed!! I had to change my home page to google because of the slow advertiser servers! You would think the 'brains' at yahoo would have that figured out my now!!

#22     Aug 7, 2009
  3. CONR

CONR

How do I determine my connections latency and what should be the max.?

Thanks.

#23     Oct 4, 2009
  4. Why does nyc suck so much in this department? Time Warner can sit on its ass all day until FIOS gets serious penetration. Meanwhile I can barely get 3-4 mbps when I'm paying for 10.

edit: ok now I see we're getting offered 50mb here as well.

But again, does high bandwidth necessarily decrease latency? If I upgrade from 10mb/s to 50, will my ping to the exchange servers go down proportionately?

#24     Oct 4, 2009
    #25     Oct 4, 2009
  6. Has anybody gotten it yet? If so, do you notice a difference?

I have 15mbp's now... I guess if you're downloading a movie or something it would make a difference.

#26     Oct 4, 2009
  7. I've had 50mb for a while now (I had 15mb before also).
    > I couldn't justify the extra cost for just trading (15mb was more than fine).
    > For movies and general browsing I can hardly justify the extra cost.

#27     Oct 4, 2009
    #28     Oct 5, 2009
  9. Sure, your welcome. Not necessarily. It's just more likely. For example, I was just visiting my Mom and she has an old infrastructure over 20 years and with Time Warner/Road Runner in So Cal. she gets 20 down and 1 up. The funny thing was through process of elimination testing it turned out the bloatware that Dell install was the problem! Before a fresh OS install 1 down and 1 up, after 20 and 1.

I would have the tech come out do a line test, pull any crapper splitters, she had one the line in the bushes from 20 years! You pay make them give you service.

For me my send light just got flakey and it turns out by testing that it appears that it was my high quality booster/splitter I installed caused the upstream to be higher by 4, pushing me in the high 40's, lower is better.

Also what kind of DSL or fiber offerings in your neighborhood? If you trade enough T-1 could even make sense.

#29     Oct 5, 2009
  10. wow, that was useful....

so how does chrome handle flash and adobe screen emmulation, since so many webinars are using shockwave and other session sharing brands?

#30     Oct 6, 2009