New build help needed...thanks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by EqtTrdr, Mar 19, 2004.

1. XP wont finish installing
    New build... installed 2 SATA raptors...

upon running windows xp set up..... when there are exactly "7 mins left" to complete install the system reboots and does not finish loading... just staring at a blank screen. Cannot power down system. Have to turn off the main power supply switch......

Everytime I go to reinstall it, the same thing happens....

been on some other forums and seems it has been a common problem while installing XP to have the computer "hang up" and most have found that the RAM was the problem.

New build... was planning on running the drives RAID 1

here is what I am working with :
    ----------------------------------------

Antec Sonata case

Intel 875P Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU, Model "D875PBZLK"

SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 9200 Video Card, 128MB DDR
    SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 7000(VE) Video Card, 64MB DDR

Intel Pentium 4/ 3.0C GHz 800MHz FSB, 512KB L2 Cache, Hyper Threading Technology

Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series, (Twin Pack) 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200PRO

(2) Western Digital Raptor 36.7GB 10,000RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD360GD

Plextor Black 8X DVD-RW/+RW Drive, Model PX-708A/SW-BL
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

was grounded during entire installation process---

first booted into BIOS, as per the board manual "switched IDE/ATA configuration from Legacy to Enhanced"

Enabled RAID option in BIOS.

BIOS recognized both HD's, floppy and DVD drives. RAM was correct in BIOS. Didnt notice a problem with anything in the BIOS configuration.

Installed RAID driver (floppy supplied by mobo) after exiting BIOS and on F6 screen prompt.

Was asked to format both drives and did so at the prompt.

Was then asked which drive I wanted to install XP on. I selected the drive on SATA 1. XP started to install got 80% finished, comp rebooted on its own, then hung up at Windows startup screen.

I shut down, restarted and again was asked which drive I wanted to install windows XP on, I selected SATA1 and was told that "an operating sytem already exists on that drive".

I selected SATA2, and again Windows XP installed 80% then hung up.

I also able to start up in "safe mode w/cmd prompt"

but I cant do anything from the dos screen.

Also the "CNTRL-ALT-DEL" function works while in safe mode and am able to access the "system processes".

Screen is still black, and I am able to do nothing else.

I also checked and found that the optical drive was on Primary IDE, but switched that over to the secondary and made no difference.

the Corsair's LED lights are functioning properly, so doubt either module is burnt out. System turns on and BIOS is fully fucntional so doublt MOBO is burnt out.

installed known good HD from another computer, BIOS recognizes the HD but will not boot from it.

I get to a screen that says "because of recent hardware changes windows has encounted a problem" where you have the option to start windows in safe mode, but I cannot even do that.

Any ideas??

thanks

2. I'm wondering if the XP install disk expects low level access to the disk. Maybe the OS can't install on a RAID because if wants to do low level image copy type stuff which the logical volume of a RAID prevents.

Maybe you to need to install XP on a single disk drive configuration and then create the RAID volume allowing the RAID software to copy XP onto the second drive.

Just a guess on this.

3. Luto

Luto

1) it is a hardware problem.

So start removing parts until you get something you can install, Swap RAM, video, HD etc. Major time sink

2) Sortware problem,

So try another XP disk. It is possible the install disk is bogus. I had one and it failed.

3) combo of both,

Obviously, sorry got to try to do 1 or 2.

Personally, with such a cool system, I would tear down to one video card and one HD verify they work, then switch to the others and verify.

Would have been nice if the whole thing just worked but...

Good luck:(

4. removed all hardware except for motherboard, powersupply cpu/heatsink and fans and a video card

motherboard beeps once, then looks for boot device.

dammit... I WILL fix this thing...lol

installed windows xp.... well almost

re-installed all hardware 1 by 1 checking each time for POST mobo beep.

left out pci video card.

got windows to install 98% this time before system locked up.

Was then able to access all OS system features.

went to install Intel mobo driver/program CD was installing fine. then system restarted as prpmpted by the installation CD

and now windows hangs at the start up screen and MOBO beeps once when it hangs up.

now switched back to other Hd and find out that XP is completely installled.....HUH??

installing all necessary drivers but I am afraid to install/run the MOBO disk again.

also seems that this HD as XP installed two times on it and it asks me at start up wich OS I want to load..

whoa...

was finally able to set up both Hd's in RAID 0 after installing the 2nd HD after XP was up and running

cannot for some reason get mirroring RAID 1

may be me, but comp just doesnt fee stable...

also upon start up, I am still asked which copy of XP on the Hd I want to use to boot... geez

what other bugs am I going to find..lol

thanks for all the help :)